In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Musket caps vs. #11 percussion caps

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
It appears musket caps are legal in Washington now. I have a Lyman rifle and Lyman recommends that you NOT use musket caps on the percussion cap rifles. I have found replacement nipples that take musket caps.

1. Are musket caps that much hotter, hense, more reliable?

2. Any idea why Lyman discourages their use?

Thanks!
Dan

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not sure why they would, if like me and have old fat fingers go with the musket caps, they are much easier to put on and take off, I can't see where they would be so much hotter to cause any serious safety issues, it may just be a lawyer/legal issue of being over cautious... though I am no expert, I have a few things the manufacturers say you shouldn't, if there are replacement nipples available, I would say whoever makes them must feel they are safe to use.
  • dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very well put! I thought about the lawyer side for Lyman, but didn't think about the manufacturer of the replacement nipples. Thank you very much!
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dannej I have used the musket caps, I don't know how much "hotter" they really are, the only thing you may watch out for is the new nipple itself, the hole in it will be slightly larger by a few thousandsth, there may be a little more blowback from the shot itself, make sure to wear eye protection just in case. personaly I swapped over a thompson renegade to musket caps, and also an old double barrell shotgun, didn't have trouble with either, but you never know.
  • dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you. Good to know...
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    converted a couple of TC Hawkens to musket nipples and they ignited Pyrodex pellets just fine.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are worried about regular musket caps being to hot, try the CCI re-enactor caps. They are less powerful.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    converted a couple of TC Hawkens to musket nipples and they ignited Pyrodex pellets just fine.

I've converted T/C Hawkens to the mag spark ignition using 209's with very good results. (the ignition is completely sealed, no blowback.
    I use triple 7 2F and experimented with pellets (50+30) with good results.

I ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting a gun and especially a muzzleloader, even with the completely sealed mag spark ignition system..
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Remington hot caps for years ... no problems. (OK, not too many problems ... still gotta clean things up pretty good after shooting!)
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't shot percussion for years but recall Remingtons' were feeble and the worst. At least some things improve.
    I don't recall any top hat caps disintegrating and posing a hazard to the eyes. I used them on a Sharps carbine.
    They were much hotter than pistol caps.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    for most shooting i use regular caps on my zouve .58 mini ball rifle with 3f black with no problems at all and keep the musket cone for hunting in cold weather. eastbank.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    I have never had any issues using #11 caps to shoot the percussion rifles I own. I shoot real black powder in them and find the economics and un-availability of musket caps troublesome. Just remember the old phrase "tight wad" has it's roots in traditional muzzle loading! Of coarse, musket caps are a necessity when shooting muskets.