In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hornady 44 cal 240 gr. XTP

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
Anyone use these for deer in a .44 pistol or as a sabot round in a .50 cal muzzle loader? I bought a pack of 30 today with the sabots.

The 245 gr. Power-belts I have been using seem to pencil right through deer with zero expansion.

Comments

• festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used them in my muzzle loader (T/C Renagade) years ago and had good luck with them. Took several deer using them. Few years back I bought a remington muzzle loader and could not get them to shoot good at all in it. Started using barnes expander mz and have to say it's by far the best bullet I have used in a muzzle loader.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taken several deer using a Knight and Remington muzzleloader with these and have had no issues at all, terminal performance was good.
    edited November -1
    That is what I was hoping to hear. Thank you, too, sir!
    edited November -1
    My bad....these bullets measure .452". I'll be at the range tomorrow with them, some 'white hots' and a new scope.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my muzzleloaders didn't like them but I think my loads are light at 50 grains of 2F so that may have been reason, normally I shoot round ball with 50 grains 2F at milk jugs from 50 yards and blow them apart filled with water.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
    edited November -1
    I was majorly disappointed when I went to the range. 6" + at 100 yards.

It may have been tha I had to fire the last load I had of the old powder/bullet combination first. Two shots at 50 yards were at ~1", then I went to 100. it was ugly there, but. it is cleaned now so I will try again. Perhaps. starting with an un fouled barrel will get. me better results.
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    I was majorly disappointed when I went to the range. 6" + at 100 yards.

It may have been tha I had to fire the last load I had of the old powder/bullet combination first. Two shots at 50 yards were at ~1", then I went to 100. it was ugly there, but. it is cleaned now so I will try again. Perhaps. starting with an un fouled barrel will get. me better results.

I tried these in my Thompson center. And it either didn't like them. Or I didn't find the right load. I was shooting 80 grains of blackhorn. And I couldn't get any kind of group at all. Had a very solid rest. And was only shooting about 40 yards.
    edited November -1
    I was back out the other day and got the first two shots, at 50 yards, into an inch. I will try again, at 100 yards, this coming weekend.
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I switched bullets. Went with the hornady yellow tips and a blue sabot. Cant remember what grain the yellow tips are. Had three shot group almost touching at 40 yards. 80 grains of blackhorn. I guess my rifle likes these.
    edited November -1
    Over the last month or so, shooting one shot from a clean barrel each time I go out, I have put three shots into 1.5 inches.

If I attempt a second shot, with a fouled bore, it lands 2-3 inches away in random directions.

Good enough to kill deer, I suppose, but still a bit disappointing.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had similar experiences with power belts in a cv a with both 2 and 3 triple 7 pellets. Switched to the cheap lead hollow points in black sabots and the gun seemed get better results. They also seem to expand more in the deer.

I guess you may have to experiment with other rounds or powder mixes. I can tell it's time for a cleaning when I have to work like heck to get then next round loaded vs. having it move around on the target.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might read some of this article
    at this link
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=665636#5787583

and search black powder muzzleloader accuracy
    and a Randy Wakeman link may show with several articles about load testing muzzleloaders
    and read articles about keeping plastic sabots from getting warm/hot.

Too much powder charge, warm barrel and too small a caliber bullet vs bore diameter (keep plastic sabot petals thin as possible) is usually what causes erratic accuracy when using sabots if bore is ok.
    (not fouled with grease, plastic or powder)

Some black powder muzzleloaders just don't like power belt bullets.
    You have to test.
    edited November -1
    I was back out at the range today.

I have been charting cold/clean bore shots taken, at 100 yard targets, over the last three months. Five shots, to be exact. All have landed in a .50" x 2.25" group. The vertical stringing may be my fault, as all the velocities have been between 1630 and 1650 fps.

Any second or subsequent shot is still 3" to 4" off, in random directions, from the group.

I have time to do more experimenting with components before the fall hunts start. The thing is, this is way slower than working up a load with a smokeless powdered cartridge. I have to tell myself to be more patient.

Thanks for the link and insight, okie.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right about takes lots more effort from a BP muzzleloader as compared to a smokeless when the muzzleloader is erratic grouping and cost per shot is about as much as a smokeless magnum gun. I've got a new Remington 700 ultimate to test on paper and keeping my fingers crossed.

You can find the Hornaday bullets and sabots I mention at the link on a Black Powder card of approx. 20 instead of the box of pistol reload bullets of 50. I've shot the Hornadys thru several different makes of muzzleloaders from sidelocks to inlines with good results on paper and on deer. If you are shooting a scoped gun from sandbags the stringing is most likely the gun and not you. I've been into some guns that would make me start believing that I could not shoot a group and I would take another gun along to prove to myself that I could still shoot.

Patience is the main key.