In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vaquero question

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
I'm posting this here instead of A T Experts because I figured you guys deal with these on a regular basis. Is it uncommon for the cylinder throats on Vaquero (old model) to be severely undersized? The throats in my 45 colt range from .444 to .448. I shoot 255 GR.,.452 lead RNFP.
I started noticing pressure signs with all but the most modest of starting loads. When I shoot 5.6 grains of Titegroup it feels like a 44 magnum and the primers go flat.
Is reaming the throats of this model a common practice. Most of my other revolvers (Rugers included) are no more than .001 undersized and several I can push a loose bullet back through the throat from the front of the cylinder with very little hand pressure. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a common problem, which is why Manson Reamers sells a cylinder reaming kit for them. You can get it from Brownells, or just find a gunsmith who has one. It is an easy and economical fix.