In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loading 45 colt.

noell316noell316 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭
I have purchased a Cimarron SAA copy. I have not loaded 45 colt in about 10 or 11 years, I have a bunch of 255 grain RNFP and SWC. What powder, and how many grains of, would y'all recommend for these?

Comments

• longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you planning to shoot with the loads? Just plink? Match shoot? Hunting?
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5.5 grains of Red Dot is a good plinking load with a 255 grain lead bullet. Works for me.
  • noell316noell316 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plinking and / or match use.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I loaded smokeless, I used Trail Boss and it is a very good powder as it fills the case and help prevents any over charges. Real black powder in a 45 will give you an appreciation of how powerful this load was in the 1870's.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5 grains of Trail Boss is a good plinking & shooting load. Have a friend that loads 4 grains of TB for cowboy because there is hardly any recoil. I like a little more bang, so I go with 5.0.
  • flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using Trail Boss, 7.5 grains under a 250gr cast bullet . . . runs about 800fps. I like TB because being bulky, it's not position sensitive.

How much black powder would you load under a 250gr bullet ? (I think I'd like to have that 1875 experience!)
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flyingcollie
    I've been using Trail Boss, 7.5 grains under a 250gr cast bullet . . . runs about 800fps. I like TB because being bulky, it's not position sensitive.

How much black powder would you load under a 250gr bullet ? (I think I'd like to have that 1875 experience!)

If you're not using a black powder bullet (like the Big Lube) then fill the case with enough 2 or 3 F to add a 45 cal Wonder Wad and compress the charge while seating the bullet. Probably around 36 - 38 grains. I don't load black by weight, I just fill up the case about 1/8 of an inch from the top and seat a Big Lube bullet on top.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    quote:Originally posted by flyingcollie

If you're not using a black powder bullet (like the Big Lube) then fill the case with enough 2 or 3 F to add a 45 cal Wonder Wad and compress the charge while seating the bullet. Probably around 36 - 38 grains. I don't load black by weight, I just fill up the case about 1/8 of an inch from the top and seat a Big Lube bullet on top.

Right on, and skip the bp subs. Real bp is easy to clean up.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I like some 'bang' myself, so I use Unique or 231 data from the Lyman manual that produces about 875 - 900 fps. That's in the neighborhood of .45 BP velocities.

BTW, I think the .45's of yesteryear reduced the repeat-crime rate a lot more than the 9mm's of today, have. [:)]
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today's solid head cases wont allow the original 40 grains of BP to be loaded. The old folded head brass had more capacity. That also goes for 38-40 and 44-40 brass.
    Yes, one does get a big boom and more recoil from 40 grains of BP under a 250 grain bullet.
    Any lube wads between powder and bullet further reduces case capacity.
    I've used Keith 2400 loads for impressive, max loads years back but found the cylinder bushing gets pounded, increasing cylinder fore and aft play. Fitting a new bushing restores the damage.