In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BP cartridge questions . . .

flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
Shooting "Cowboy Action", I have been reloading .45 LC cartridges with "Trail Boss" powder. The local club is slowly getting our matches aligned with "strict" SASS rules, which means that if I continue to shoot my percussion Navies, I'll have to load cartridges with BP to be "legally" a "Black Powder" shooter . . . (if the "rules" get too mickeymouse, I'd be tempted to bail, which would be too bad, 'cuz I like this game !)

What can I expect from loading .45 LC with BP and a 250gr lead bullet ? What to look out for ? What difference is there in total powder volume between the original "balloon" brass and modern cartridges ? How significant is that ?

Last, any advice on cleaning up a lever-action rifle when used with BP cartridges ?

Comments

• Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load 45 Colt for my saa, and 45-70 for my Sharps. Used to load only smokeless in both but switched to real bp in March. I use 3f in my Colt, and 2f in my Sharps. You would best be served by doing some reading about loading bp. The load in my Colt is about 36gr and a 250 bullet with a veggie wad under bullet. This is close to the original load, and does pack a punch.
    Cleanup is easy, as I use wet patches (water) and spray down with Ballistol and water mixture - often referred to as "moose milk" by the bp folks. Real bp is a hoot to shoot, and I would never go back to smokeless. Good source for bp is Powderinc online.
  • Options
    flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Bartman ! I agree, BP is a hoot, that's why I shoot my percussion navies and a muzzle-loading 12ga double. The "Cowboys" don't quite know what to do with me on that, I get penalized two misses on the four shotgun targets . . . but who cares ? They're into speed, and percussion slows ya down . . . I'm more into accuracy, so I usually time last at a match, but I don't miss much.

I'll have to try Ballistol, so far, I've been cleaning the revolvers with hot, soapy water . . . a friend raved over Hoppes 9+, for BP cleanup, but I couldn't see it was nearly as good as dish detergent and hot water . . . a "bath" seems radical for a lever-action rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Soapy water is the best first step. The Ballistol and water mix gets sprayed into my pistol and rifle actions. The water in the mix evaporates and leaves a fine coating of lube over the action. About 1oz Ballistol to about 8 oz water or so. The ratio is not critical. To quote from Ballistol, "Due to its alkaline character it is ideal for blackpowder firearms as the residue is acidic from the powder. Ballistol neutralizes and dissolves the residues, eliminating the need for aggressive solvents."
  • Options
    normbalnormbal Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a copy of Elmer Keith's "Six Guns." From the man who invented the modern .357 and .44 magnum cartridges (for most all practical intents and purposes), he recommends just pouring 2F Black Powder into the .45 Colt cartridge and compressing a lead bullet on top. I've tried this and it's impressive and fun as hell.

For that matter, try shooting a Colt.44 Cal Walker Model revolver sometime. The sonic boom/ballistic crack will make your ears ring. Hard to imagine that a revolver from roughly 1849 had nearly the same ballistics as a cartridge, the .357 S&W Magnum, would nearly 100 years later.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by normbal
    Find a copy of Elmer Keith's "Six Guns." From the man who invented the modern .357 and .44 magnum cartridges (for most all practical intents and purposes), he recommends just pouring 2F Black Powder into the .45 Colt cartridge and compressing a lead bullet on top. I've tried this and it's impressive and fun as hell.

For that matter, try shooting a Colt.44 Cal Walker Model revolver sometime. The sonic boom/ballistic crack will make your ears ring. Hard to imagine that a revolver from roughly 1849 had nearly the same ballistics as a cartridge, the .357 S&W Magnum, would nearly 100 years later.

Walker stats show a 138 grain ball traveling @ 1200 feet per second.