In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mailing a B/P revolver

elglideelglide Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
What is the best way to ship a b/p revolver. Looks like I cant ship it through the US mail without a FFL. Fedex and UPS is very expensive. would it be best to take it to a FFL. Shipping to a private user. Thanks for any advice. Pat

Comments

• ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cap & Ball revolvers can be sent through the US Mail. Perfectly legal & the only way I do it.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken is absolutely right. A Ball and cap revolver is not a firearm, it is an ANTIQUE firearm- both under Federal law, and Postal regulations.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I realize I'm a little late to this thread, and it really shouldn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyway.
    Make sure it is not loaded.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some post offices have Lib Nazis working who will make up firearms laws on the spot for you. And they will give you a hard time shipping a black powder revolver.

Just label the package as "mechanical parts" and you are good to go.

HOWEVER, do not mail that thing to New Jersey. If that package breaks open in the New Jersey post office, you will be in serious legal trouble. It is considered a firearm in New Jersey. Probably other jurusdictions as well, like Chicago, not sure though.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a US Postal window clerk for 15 years. I was the only one who knew Postal gun regulations. I would always try to handle the dealers or individuals that came in mailing firearms. If I couldn't, the person helping them would ask me. Allen Griggs is right, some clerks, who had no idea, would just say, no, you can't mail a firearm.
    And yes, you can mail a cap and ball revolver. And like Mr. Griggs said again, tell them it's machine parts if they ask. You aren't lying.
  • john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ken44-40
    Cap & Ball revolvers can be sent through the US Mail. Perfectly legal & the only way I do it.

Also rifles and shotguns as long as they are legal.
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had problem shipping a firearm usps. Ended up contacting my federal rep.
    Received a nice letter of apology from the postmaster General.