In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hastings 50 caliber 870 barrel ?

tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
does anyone know about these barrels? I just acquired one and would like to talk to a person that has one of these. thanks

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    though I have never owned or shot one, I worked with a guy who had one, his biggest complaint, the black powder would blowback in the receiver and the clean up was a real pia, If it is all you have fine, but with the flood of reasonably priced used muzzleloaders on the market buy a rifle and use it. cleaning any muzzleloading rifle would be easier than trying to get the inside of an 870 receiver cleaned after a few shots. just my 2cents.
  • Options
    tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know where to get a breech plug for one of these?
  • Options
    Hog SniperHog Sniper Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one....Its a great shooter..Killed a few deer with it. It is a pain to clean and you better do it quick or rust will set in. I was using 777 and it still got rust. I bought it to have fun with my 870. I wanted to use one gun for all seasons just to play. Last year I took the gun goose hunting, deer hunting (both slug and BP), Turkey Hunting, Fox Hunting, I shot trap and skeet with it as well. It seems I have a gun for everything and thought it would be neat to use just one gun for all of the above. It was fun. As for breech plugs Hastings had them when I called for a spare. The problem is now that Hastings went under all of their assets were auctioned off. I would have bought a bunch if I knew they were going under..(Hindsight is always 20/20) I looked through the listings but didnt see any lots of breech plugs. I would love to have a spare myself. Please let me know if you find some. I got the best results using 245 grain power belts and 80 grains of 777. If you need anything else drop me a line..gruby62@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Hog SniperHog Sniper Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot to add that BH209 will not ignite with this barrel/primer set up