In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Value

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
What you ya'll say is a plus and minus for a 1st generation Colt in 44 40 that has had the 7.5" barrel shortened? It is all original except that and is in good but not perfect shape

Thanks

Comments

• 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need way more info to even get you in the ballpark. Pictures would be best. What is % of original blue left, the condition of the original case colors, the mechanical condition, bore condition, barrel address, etc. etc. There are lots of variables.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Many 7 ?" Colts were shortened by Colt and Springfield Armory to 5 ?" lengths. The frames are marked "US" and are referred to as "Artillery Models". Is it one of those or was it done by a gunsmith or by Bubba?

We really need pics.
  • Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It can be seen at Tenring.com under Colts for sale. He has the pictures protected so they cant be copied. Id appreciate your looking.
    edited November -1
    Actually, it's a nice looking Colt. I can't tell if the barrel has been professionally cut or has been rebarrelled but it's a nice job either way. It's also possible that the factory ledger is wrong. The "COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER" markings were used on .44-40's until 1937 so those markings are correct for that Colt, which was made in 1931.

You might ask if the grips are serial numbered on the inside to match the gun. Also, ask if the muzzle has been crowned or just cut flat but I think it's crowned. I also think the asking price is fair and don't see how you can get hurt at that price. Good luck!

3ColtSAA354092001.jpg
    3ColtSAA354092002.jpg
    3ColtSAA354092003.jpg
    3ColtSAA354092005.jpg
    3ColtSAA354092010.jpg
    3ColtSAA354092006.jpg
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, that's a nice looking pistol. My guess is that is not the original barrel, because it is in much nicer condition than the frame and the other blued parts. But like Spider said, that's a decent price either way.
    edited November -1
    OK ya'll have me ready to go for it. Should I be more patient for a better deal?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rex Mahan
    OK ya'll have me ready to go for it. Should I be more patient for a better deal?

It depends on what you're looking for but if that's the caliber and barrel length you want, I doubt you'll find a nicer one for that price.

There are probably very few of us here that haven't kicked ourselves at one time or another for not picking up a Colt SAA when we had the chance, especially a 1st Generation model. I bet that gun will be a great shooter, too!
    edited November -1
    Now Im excited. Thanks I much appreciate it.
    edited November -1
    Now Im excited. Thanks I much appreciate it.

If you do buy it, would you please come back and tell us about it after you receive it? We'd all like to know if it's everything it appears to be. [:)]
    edited November -1
    Will do. I committed on it, so Ill let you know
    edited November -1
    I left a deposit. I hope to go get it in a couple of weeks. The gun looks really nice.
    I have 2 questions:

1) Is it correct or OK that the loading gate number doesnt match the serial number of the gun?
    2) The bottom of the handle doesnt have the serial number stamped on it ( this is visable from the pictures).

Please let me know.
    Rex
    edited November -1
    I left a deposit. I hope to go get it in a couple of weeks. The gun looks really nice.
    I have 2 questions:

1) Is it correct or OK that the loading gate number doesnt match the serial number of the gun?
    2) The bottom of the handle doesnt have the serial number stamped on it ( this is visable from the pictures).

Please let me know.
    Rex

The gate number is an assembly number. These will never match the serial number. The same assembly number should be stamped on the frame underneath the trigger guard as the gate needed to be hand-fitted to the frame.

Colt stopped stamping the serial number on the bottom of the grip strap and trigger guard in 1920 and moved it to the inside of the grip frame. You need to remove the grips to see it. The grips, if original to the gun, should also have the serial number scratched into them.
    edited November -1
    Good then. The gun really looks good. You mentioned sending in some more info once I get it. Is there something I should take a picture of or ????

Thanks again.

This is my first Colt. I do have 2 USFAs but now Im probably hooked.
    edited November -1
    Good then. The gun really looks good. You mentioned sending in some more info once I get it. Is there something I should take a picture of or ????

Thanks again.

This is my first Colt. I do have 2 USFAs but now Im probably hooked.

I mentioned the muzzle to see if it's crowned or cut flat but I think it's a correct replacement barrel. The front sight looks like factory in the picture and the markings are right for that year.

I'll put it this way: I would never interfere with another man's deal and to do so is despicable. However, if you had walked away from it, I would have bought it myself. That's a good one. You could probably get $2,500-$3,000 for it on the auction side.
    edited November -1
    Hi Spider. I got it. Ill send pictures of ??? I know you mentioned taking the grips off so Ill do that.
    edited November -1
    Hi Spider. I got it. Ill send pictures of ??? I know you mentioned taking the grips off so Ill do that.

Congrats! Are you happy with it? Send me a couple of pics including the inside left side of the grip frame, inside the grips and the muzzle.