In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting a Navy Arms Charleville musket

ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
I was given a Navy Arms Charleville that a little rusty. I started to clean it up, and I am now thinking about shooting it. Its been some time since I fired a flintlock. Any suggestions for powder besides black powder? I don't even know if black powder is easily available anymore.

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    What caliber is your flintlock? You'll want FFFF for the flash pan, if you can find it, FFF will work. Depending on caliber, you'll want FF or FFF for the main charge in the barrel. 50 and above FF, 45 and smaller FFF.
    I use black powder, not substitutes, especially in a flinter.
    W.D.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Since it's been awhile since it has been shot & since you aren't familiar with it, I'd suggest the first several "shots" be with the priming charge only; no main charge or ball in the barrel. when you are satisfied that the flint/striker are working properly, then go with a main charge. the Charleville muskets went well over .50" so you'd probably be going with FF size powder.
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the info thanks...