In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

777 or BP in a flint lock pistol

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
I have an older CVA Kentucky flint lock pistol. Some one told me I'd have to use real Black Powder in a flint lock pistol. I have replaced the lock and had some trigger work done and now it shoots a whole lot better.

But is it true that I have to use the real stuff - Black Powder - in it?

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never used anything but Goex.
    Not sure if a flinter would set off pellets though.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I'm using loose 777 substitute in all my percussion cap muzzle loaders and find that it works just fine. (Oh yes ... I do use 777 pellets in my TC Omega 50.) But jut granular 777 in other guns.

Somehow I got the word that I would have to use Goex Black Powder in the pistol. What I'd like to know ... is that true? From your experience ... and then I may just have to go ahead and try it for myself. I did get this word from guys who really know their stuff on BP.

I've been using fff Goex BP and "grinding" it down a bit for putting in the pan. Could that be a problem? Should I be using ffff Goex BP in the flash pan?

Bottom line ... I'm just looking for better reliability with my first flint lock.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should definitely use some brand of real black powder in the priming pan; GOEX will be fine, 3F will be perfect. Black powder ignites at about 300 degrees F cooler than subs like Pyrodex, Triple 7, etc., and for that reason the subs just don't work very well as priming powders. And you might find that you need to load a duplex load of 10 grains of black in the bore first and then a black powder sub on top on that to get reliable ignition. You can try it both ways with the main charge with and without the real black in the bore first but either way you're going to need to use your 3F GOEX for the priming charge.

Flintlocks - even the high end ones - are finicky enough by their very nature without asking them to digest a substitute powder as a priming charge. But they sure are fun to shoot. Good luck.