In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder or Pellets

mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
This past fall was my first year with a T/C Impact. I used the 777 pellets, and was wondering if you guys like pellets better, or powder. Pros and cons of each? Is one more accurate than the other? Just trying to learn more about this whole blackpowder shooting sport.

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pellets are easier to deal with in rifles that can use them. The don't allow loads to be quite as precisely tuned. I use both in different rifles.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generaly I use pellets in inline rifles because of the hunting applications. It's easier to load a gun with pellets when your heart is about to beat out of your chest,then to fumble with loose powder. Traditionaly, you side locks and flintlocks will use the loose powder. But, there is nothing that says you can't use pellets in your side lock. Like Dog said, pellets don't allow for fine adjusting as loose powder does.

I think it boils down to convenience.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer powder. It is a lot cheaper and is more precise.

Get some speed loaders, it makes reloading while hunting easy with powder.
    It is not like you need to reload a whole lot while hunting.
    I carry just 3 speed loaders into the field, of course, the gun is loaded before I leave the house.

I have hunted with muzzleloaders for 30 years and have only needed a second shot once. Never have needed a third shot.
  • mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll have to give the powder a try. I always end up crushing my pellets when I stuff the bullet down. Probably a big reason my groups wander a bit.
  • deerslayer3deerslayer3 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You shouldn't be getting crushed pellets. Do you bounce, rap, or push to hard on the load. This will cause high or inconsistant pressure/velocity.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deerslayer3
    You shouldn't be getting crushed pellets. Do you bounce, rap, or push to hard on the load. This will cause high or inconsistant pressure/velocity.

Yes I do. I always feel I don't have the bullet seated, so I give it two extra hard taps. I try not to, but end up doing it almost every time.
  • deerslayer3deerslayer3 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most people in my black powder club make or score their rod once they load their gun. By making this depth you can: chech seating depth, check for a load present, or check for a ball/bullet with no powder.
    edited November -1
    That's a good idea right there. Thanks!
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pellets or loose Hodgdon 777 ... no big difference!
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loose powder. That way you are guaranteed that powder will be right up next to the flash hole.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bouncing the rod off the load GUARANTEES that it is seated, that is what we teach our 4h kids. Of course as adults we learn how to do things without taking extreme measures like this. Like marking the rod but with kids you want to make dang sure it is seated. No sense bulging a barrel.

Loose pyrodex in either RS or 777 works for me, I have found that the RS is less fouling a little harder to clean in the end but the nasty crude ring that 777 is famous for is nonexistent when I use RS.

I have find that if I measure three loads by volume and then weigh them on a powder scale to find their weight in grains. I average the 3 and then use a regular powder scale to measure my powder based on that avg. I do this to sight in and again the night before opening day, I will carry 6 quick loads that are EXACTLY the same weight.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic
    777 loose

Lew, how have you been?