In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CVA Electra reviews?

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
I've been looking at one, but I'd like to read some reviews first.

Is the ignition as "instantaneous" as they claim? How about accuracy. Reliability of electronic ignition system? What about ease of cleaning?

So many questions. Has anyone used one of these? Would you recommend one to a friend?

Thanks

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of the guys I hunt with bought one and loves it. He bragged about the ignition system the first day and then had two misfires, battery life was short, or he had bad batteries to begin with. One big pain is the batteries when we get on the four wheeler state law says they need to be unloaded. a regular muzzleloader you can take the cap or 209 primer off and it is considered unloaded, with the electra you have to remove the battery! which requires a screwdriver.

I am not one for the new fangled toys, the cold weather eats up the batteries and shortens the life. but to each their own.
  • SreloadSreload Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought one. Its GREAT. Shock wave bullets seem best. I use Triple Seven 80grs - 100grs powder not pellets. Blackhorn 209 will not ignite. It is fastest ignite of all my Muzzleloaders. Get Best Lithium 9 volt battery at good camera store. I am going to use it this deer season and take Encore as extra rifle.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    illegal here in CO

doubt it is any more reliable or accurate than the next, just another newfangled gadget to get people to buy more hunting schit.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I have One for over two years now....maybe a Thousand rounds downrange.

Like it a lot.

Illegal as a M/L here for Hunting, but I use it when the Weather is too bad in Modern Firearm Season to get out my Beautiful Custom.

Works in the bad weather!

I've been shooting the Hornady Copper-Clad 350 Grain bullet, in front of 150 Grains of 777...Delivers a Hit!

Only time it has failed to ignite was when I failed to clean the spark gap after a three-shot string, or when I failed to get the load seated per manufacturer's instructions - Slightly Crunch the rear-most pellet, so the sparkplug is nosed into the powder. So, Now I clean after Two Shots as a rule, and I have gotten into the routine about seating the powder.

Busted a Front Sight off, got a Replacement.

Battery Life is more than I have found out so, far. I put in a New Alkaline battery every Year, and it fires every time.

No other problems to report.

Absolutely Tickled with my $200 Brand New, Stainless Barrel, Camo Syn Stock, "Charcoal Burner". I have never used real BP.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    And Now to answer Your Questions - Ignition is so instantaneous, you just seem to "Think" FIRE! and it is already Done! There is ZERO "Creep" or anything to tell you if the Electric switch that functions as a Trigger has moved/is moving, that you are nearly always Surprised when it already went off!

For me, I can get Six-Inch Groups at 100 Yards nearly every time, with the Bullet/Powder load I listed above. Open Sights, you know...

Ease of cleaning is Amazing, with 777 - for every two shots, I use a Spit-wet piece of Old cut-up T-shirt - clean as a whistle!

After each shooting session, I disassemble the Barrel from the stock, remove the Spark Plug, and clean thoroughly with water. Lastly, I run a clean patch with Marvel Mystery Motor Oil, reassemble and put it away.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Thats not BP hunting. Real BP hunting you do it with a flinter or a cap lock. Not some new fangled electronic gizmo or even some 209 inline thingagiggy. JMHO[:D]
  • Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with hillbillie.. Bought one and could not wait to sell it. Several missfires due to battery either bad or moisture in the battery housing. I hunt from West Va to Fla battery is a pain to deal with. basically had to put in a new battery every time I went in to the woods.. Electronics can corrode and fail.. Easier to prime a regular black powder gun and de-prime if you are moving from stand to stand on an ATV or Vehicle. Nice idea but just not as reliable as it should be.. Id get a regular BP ..
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Inlines new fangled?

you do know that inlines date back to 1808 hardily a new thingagiggy

electric ignition doesn't appeal to me one bit. a 209 will geter done every time. No11's or musket caps are nice but a tad bit hard to hold onto if you have polish sausages for fingers.