In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lead

Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
With the last lead smelter in the US being shut down by the out of control "EPA" and the rising cost of Lead for reloading. Is there any talk in the Cowboy Action Circles about changing the rules to allow other rounds beside lead.?? My supply of wheel weights have completely dried up with the tire stores now getting big dollars to re-cyclers for reclaimed lead

Comments

• ignats555ignats555 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's quite a bit of it on eBay, I bought some there awhile ago because I wanted pure lead, not alloy wheel weights for BP shooting. The price wasn't too bad. I'm not involved in cowboy shooting so I don't know if they will change the rules or not. I blame some of this on ourselves. I know I went out and hoarded cast bullets for my favorite ammo, .45ACP and 9mm. I wish the powder manufacturers would quit fooling around and start producing more. Most of the cast bullet makers are small businesses and they all are behind on orders, or so they say.
  • Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I am finding is that with the lead smelters and lead mining shut down by the draconian Obummer admin. Lead is being mined in S.E Asia and in South America. That means an import tax on the lead coming into the country which means we pay more. Same with mercury used in primers. no more US mining which means we pay more for the basic reloading components ..
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have completley missed the real reason for the closure. It is economics. There is a glut of lead in the U. S. and foreign counties can mine, smelt and process it cheaper than we can here. It is simply the free enterprise system at work. Instead of jumping to conclusions, get your facts straight before blameing Federal agencies or politicians.
  • Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clearly it should be a question of national security.[V] As so should be the answer.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    You have completley missed the real reason for the closure. It is economics. ...

The EPA does not close industrial operations by the reason that foreign countries can produce a commodity more cheaply. Nor does it have any authority to do so. The Sherman Anti-Trust Act locks out giving a U.S. market monopoly to anyone, and especially, to foreigners, so EPA involvement was politically motivated - by the same people who brought us 'Fast and Furious' and other upright, respectable undertakings.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought the smelting company closed doors because they didn't see spending money to upgrade the facility to meet the new requirements the EPA put in place?
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    I thought the smelting company closed doors because they didn't see spending money to upgrade the facility to meet the new requirements the EPA put in place?

Bingo we have a winner !!!!!!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mercury for primers? Where the blazes are you buying mercuric primers? Have not seen those produced in about 100 years.
  • gunny100gunny100 Member Posts: 33
    edited November -1
    I go to local shooting range and get the used bullets
    i melt them down in to new lead bullets
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Layne12gun
    With the last lead smelter in the US being shut down by the out of control "EPA" and the rising cost of Lead for reloading. Is there any talk in the Cowboy Action Circles about changing the rules to allow other rounds beside lead.?? My supply of wheel weights have completely dried up with the tire stores now getting big dollars to re-cyclers for reclaimed lead

That is a shame you live so far from me. I have over a thousand pounds of wheel weights. I use it for bullets and sinkers. It would cost me to much to ship. If you ever get to NJ, you can have all you want
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I finally gave up and ordered casr bullets, and even doing that, they are at last 4 weeks backed up!!
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie, I would love to buy you lunch and take some of your lead off your hands...[:o)]

That is a shame you live so far from me. I have over a thousand pounds of wheel weights. I use it for bullets and sinkers. It would cost me to much to ship. If you ever get to NJ, you can have all you want
    [/quote]
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retiredguy
    I finally gave up and ordered casr bullets, and even doing that, they are at last 4 weeks backed up!!

There is no shortage of lead; just look at all the listings on Evil Bay. Local scrap yards have it in any number of types - plumbing, roofing sheets, X-ray room sheets, etc. I picked up 100 lbs of roofing lead recently to be used for BP bullets.
  • spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your still looking,,I just acquired about 2,000 Lbs of Linotype lead, loaded it from the shelves of an old print shop myself and i still have it in 5gal buckets {half full} if your still looking i am in north east Pa.
    can be reached at johnnab@npacc.net

JB

Very nice gesture for a give away.