In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New to the game...

PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a modern shotgunner at heart and been that way all my life. I'd like to step back a bit and take grab of a percussion double barrel 12 gauge.

I'd like to know what would be a good place to start with one.

I'd like to hunt turkeys with one and possibly deer if I can run a slug thru the same gun.

How does something like this look to mess around with?...

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=408934031

I'd like to eventually step up to a Pedersoli slug gun but would like to mess around with a less expensive gun to get my head wraped around the game first.

Any thoughts fellas?

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a decent looking old shotgun in pretty good condition. HOWEVER,I would advise you to buy a modern made muzzleloader for your purpose. Those old guns were made of wrought iron Damascus twist, a continuos twist of a iron bar welded around a mandrel. What you cannot see is the condition of the barrels under the ribs connecting the barrels. I recently had the bottom rib come off a double barrel muzzle loader and the barrels were VERY RUSTED AND CORRODED under the rib. Some years ago I read that when the Damascus barrels failed it was usually right where your hand was, the peak pressure area where the barrel thinned out from the thicker rear area. In short, the old Damascus barrels can be dangerous. There is no way to determine the safety of the welds.
    I would strongly recommend you read-up on black powder shooting in the library or get the Lyman Black Powder Handbook. It is important to understand the safe use of black powder.
  • PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    That is a decent looking old shotgun in pretty good condition. HOWEVER,I would advise you to buy a modern made muzzleloader for your purpose. Those old guns were made of wrought iron Damascus twist, a continuos twist of a iron bar welded around a mandrel. What you cannot see is the condition of the barrels under the ribs connecting the barrels. I recently had the bottom rib come off a double barrel muzzle loader and the barrels were VERY RUSTED AND CORRODED under the rib. Some years ago I read that when the Damascus barrels failed it was usually right where your hand was, the peak pressure area where the barrel thinned out from the thicker rear area. In short, the old Damascus barrels can be dangerous. There is no way to determine the safety of the welds.

Thank you for the info...I learned something new...thanks.

I think I'll be bugging you for some more info soon....thinking about doing some BP pistol too...I need to figure a bit on that one too..

Thanks....
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you just want to play, look for one of the navy arms or older pedersoli doubles, won't set you back more than a few hundred dollars. and will still do all you want them to do. you should find a used one in the $250-350 range if you watch local ads and local shows. Not a lot come up for sale but they are out there.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CVA doubles are also reasonable.
  • flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started with a CVA SxS, the barrels are OK, but the wood is crap, the lock-work chintzy, and not well fit up, with the result that it wasn't a dependable shooter. Maybe they aren't all like this, but mine is. I got a Pedersoli reasonable, brand-new, and it is a very nice gun.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    collie I have had 3 of the pedersolis and two CVA's, all these were the older models with the fixed choke barrells. ( I think the new ones have screw in chokes ) never had any trouble with any of them, did a lot of rabbitt hunting with em and while I missed more than I got, I don't think it was the shotguns fault....[;)]
  • flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep ! My Pedersoli has fixed chokes too. Barrels on the CVA shot well enough (better'n me !) it was the rest of the gun that gave me fits. I really like hunting with the Pedersoli.