In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

54 cal, 777 fffg, conical ?

IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
I know most here are die hard goex or swiss fans, but have any of you played with fffg, triple 7, in a 54 cal hawken and firehawk, behind some 400 grain, +- conicals.........I have to put somethin together here as im headin antelope huntin and thats what I can find. Thinkin of startin bout 80 grains.......pros cons, good idea bad idea, thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Also thanks in advance.[^]
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I've use a bit of 777 and like it a lot, I use 100 gn (by volume) behind a round ball in .50, .54. and .58. the 80 gn load should make for a good starter load.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Hodgden 777 in my Hawken .50 calibre, and I think it is the only way to go. Clean-up is a breeze!
    edited November -1
    Are you guys using 3f or 2f. I usually load 2f but all ive found is 3f so I figured id try it and just reduce the load........
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would stick with 2F.

I like Goex & 777 most then RS Pyrodex.

80gr is my hunting load in my .50 TC Hawken(patch & ball).

I use 100gr(sometime 150gr) powder when I'm using 295gr Powerbelt bullets in my inline.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i use fff in all my muzzel loaders,.36,.45,.50,.54,.58. and i find it burns cleaner and will go off with regular caps. accordind to me and a moderator.
    edited November -1
    Well the 348gr powerbelts shot good with 80 grains, recoil was mild, and yes I believe it shot alot cleaner with less fouling than the 2f. So I think im good to go. Gun didnt seem to like the hornady great plains and I hated the way they loaded. Could not seem to get em started without maring the bullet. Inch and a half 3 shot group with the 4rth opening it up to 5 inches but im sure I pulled it[:I]. Ready to go now, just gotta find some more powerbelts.[:)]