In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Center fire cylinder for Remington BP pistol

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
Thinking of getting a .45LC cylinder for my Remington pistol. Anyone have any experience with these. My main concern is accuracy. Any other info appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's usually not as simple as just swapping cylinders. Don't forget the hammer on a c&b revolver is not compatible with centerfire primers. There are a few companies selling the conversion kits that include a mechanism on the rear of the cylinder to transfer the hammer impact to a captive pin.
    Don't forget to measure your bore diameter to see just what kind of 45 barrel you have. .450? .451? .452? .455? etc. The diameter of a 45 Colt bullet may not be a good fit.
  • dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very good advice! Thank you.
  • vulturevulture Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two 1858 Remington reproduction revolvers that I have converted to .45 Colt by purchasing the new made conversion cylinders offord for sale. They work perfectly, or have done for me, just remove the cap and ball cylinder and drop in the cartridge cylinder. There is two different companies making these conversions, Kirst is one, and I believe the other is R&D, anyway a net search will bring them both up.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
  • BuffaloGunBuffaloGun Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an R&D conversion from Taylors in an Uberti Remington 1858 stainless. It dropped right in and works nicely.
    With cowboy loads.
    A caution though. I had another R&D cylinder in a standard Uberti 1858 and one day an standard load .45 Colt got mixed into the box. The failure was catastrophic with the cylinder blown apart and the top strap of the 1858 bowed upward about 1/2 inch.
    I use my 1858 a lot and it handles any commercial cowboy load out there and my low power reloads. But I do NOT use full power .45 Colt let alone the Ruger/Thompson Center loads.