In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shot size

bobwesleybobwesley Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
i am building a bp rifle, i am using a bolt action 22 and a old 303 barrel. it is ready to test with a live load. my problem. i was going to cast a pure lead .32 bullet, thinking that the 303 would be 312 or 313 but the bbl measures 308. so i plan on using 0 buck or which ever one is around .298 to .302 anyone know which shot size would be right with a .10 or .05 patch?

Comments

• wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a micometer to be sure and B4 you are ready a dry run will be a good bet...
    When you try it out be sure to wear eye protection and glove in case of unforeseen issues
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck with your project! That is a new one on me.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the 303 British SMLE barrel used a 1 in 10 inch twist. That is a far cry from the usual 1 in 66 inches used for most patched round balls. I think you will have an accuracy problem. Please let us know the outcome. To find the correct ball size --- double the thickness of the patch & subtract from the bore diameter.