In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A&H Mountain Rifles

gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
why do some of the mountain rifles have one through screw showing on the side opposite the lock plate and some have 2 screws , which style is better??...I see this single or double screw style on both flint and percussion guns....

also which came first Provo Utah or Weston MO. guns and was there any quality difference.....thanks

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flintlocks have two lock screws. They have a stronger mainspring that generates enough torque to move the front of the lockplate and crack the wood. The forward screw prevents this, as much as possible. That is what was explained to me. Caplocks generally have only one lock screw and are about one-half inch shorter in length. Modern machine made reproductions may have two lock scrws just to simplify production IF the lock plates are the same size for both types of locks (my thought).
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Austin & Halleck started in Weston in 1996.