In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Engraved Vaquero

ThomasBurtThomasBurt Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and would like to get some feedback on a purchase. I recently became interested in CAS and subsequently bought a Ruger Vaquero (old model) in 45 LC through Gunbroker. The seller listed it as used, and didn't know whether the engraving was factory or not. When I got the weapon my local gun shop guy looked at it and said it had never been fired. He also looked up the serial number and said it was one of 1,750 made for Davidson's and the engraving was factory (it has gold engraving on the cylinder). It's a case color, 5.5" barrel, chambered in 45 LC with what appear to be custom grips (brown and cream wood with heavy figuring). It also came with three sets of the faux ivory grips, no ruger medallion, all of which are engraved (Playing card, Mountain Lion, and Stallion). The gun is very nice, I got the whole set for $435, and now I'm hesitant to shoot it. Should I go ahead and use it as a shooter, or maybe get a New Model Vaquero without the engraving? Also, any ideas what it might be worth. Thanks everyone.

Tom

Comments

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shooting it will be a lot more fun than sitting there & watching it sit there....wear it out in a number of years & buy another...have fun life is short...certainly not one of a kind 1st gen engraved colt
  • ThomasBurtThomasBurt Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spasm,

I have about decided to do just that, mainly because I can't afford to buy another for a while. I guess it's time to order a spring kit and get to shootin.
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen!!

The worst thing is to have something like that and not use it a little. Might as well. It's used once it changes hands anyway. Not only that, you will REGRET not shooting it. You'll ALWAYS wonder. It turns into that gal you shoulda kissed in high school!
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    You just came here to brag, didn't you?[:D]

Seriously, that sounds like a good looking gun. Rugers are meant to shoot, in my opinion.

Collect all the Colts you want, but shoot the Ruger.

Have fun!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so much for my own opinion ...in checking i got one similar nib in 44 in the safe i should sell along with others ...packratitis can be a debilitating disease
  • Litl RoosterLitl Rooster Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    shoot it with Black Powder all them pretty scratches will clean up.