In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle

RochelleRochelle Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
I just bought a CVA 32 Caliber "Squirrel Rifle" at a yard sale for almost nothing. It is new and unfired with a few small scraches from closet storage. It's a pretty little thing, I have never saw one before. Checked Google and found a few forums with discussions about loading and using these things for small game and some target work, so I guess they are great for any thing a .22LR would work for.
I checked the for sale sites to see what one of these little things was worth. They must be rare, couldn't find one for sale or in the history of sales. A question for you muzzle loaders, I know it isn't gold plated but in your opinion what would one of these be worth?

Comments

• MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    CVA? worth about $200.00 as a cap lock and maybe $250.00 for flintlock.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the time it would be a very hard sale, unless you just found the right person. No one seems to want sidelocks anymore. You would be lucky to get $100 around here, they are not rare, mainly just uncommon.
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started to buy one years ago, can't remember the price back then, but I wish I had bought it. I think it would be a fun caliber to shoot. Like hillbille said everybody wants an inline now. Try Track of the Wolf if you need more info and supplies.
    edited November -1
  • SammowrySammowry Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh NUTS! CVA squirrel rifle! A closet sitter? Ahh maaannn... You don't see them for sale. People keep em'. Can yah tell I'm envious. Next to nuttin paid at a yard sale...

I gotta get OUT more!

An MMOMEQ-55 looks like he got the 1st chance to BUY IT FROM YOU!

NUTS!!! ( good for you MM!)

Sam in Vancouver, Washington State, USA!
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    i google-searched it, from what i found commercially it goes for $159 for a .36 caliber percussion rifle, $139 for a .32 caliber kit. you may have gotten a kit rifle that somebody built and then never used.

you looking to sell it Rochelle? i might be interested(hillbille would call me "just the right person"), been looking for a cheap blackpowder to scratch my gun-buying itch and was hoping for something other than the usual .50 caliber. send me a message and some pics if you're selling, maybe we can reach an agreement.
  • RochelleRochelle Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Morning
    I went back to Google to see if I could find any recent entries for this gun. I found a couple that were a year old, the rest were older than that. If you have found one that is current would you send me the site?
    I am intrested in selling, I won't ever shoot it. I will post it on gun broker when I find a fair price.

Thanks
    edited November -1
    Rochelle,

A few years ago I wanted to know more about a CVA Frontier Mountain rifle I bought at a show; I e-mailed CVA ( info@CVA.com ) with the general description/model/serial number of the rifle and asked a few questions. I don't remember waiting too long for a reply, and it gave me the answers to my questions. ( was it a KIT? Year made, general price, etc.)

Really, if you are going to sell - the price YOU want is what matters. Put a start price on it, put it up on AUCTION, let the market/Auction bear the price from there.

Hope this helps.

Sam Wright, Vancouver, Washington STATE USA!
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let us know when you post it.
  • BGRooster1BGRooster1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are nice . I won an auction with 2 left hand models that were never fired, for the price of what 1 usually sells for. Mine were kits that the guy bought to hang on the wall of his cabin.So for around 30 years they just collected dust.The wood was stained ugly and the barrels left in the white.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a new unfinished kit a few years back. Started on it and got distracted. This has reminded me that I need to finish it. Neat little rifles. Love My CVA Kentucky and Side by side Double Rifle. Have a .54 Hawken I am still working out loads and sight settings. CVA's are great shooters for the money.
    edited November -1
    Decided to sell the Squirrel rifle. No Squirrels big enough to eat here in Mojive Desert. As pretty as it is, it needs a home that someone would use it.
    It's just right for someone to take a walk in the hardwoods in the fall.
    edited November -1
    U put it up on auction? Under what name?
    edited November -1
    In Gun Broker ".32 Black Powder Muzzleloader"
    edited November -1
    Ahhhhh...

NUTS!
    edited November -1
    Looks good on the auction.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I bought one several years ago for my daughter to use in 4-H shooting sports. Great rifle but the stock could use a bit more drop IMHO. traditions makes another great little 32 squirrel rifle as well. Almost the same as the CVA but it has a little more drop to the stock. Price is around $250 for the Traditions.
    edited November -1
    Well the misses was bidding on this but went over her price.
  • BGRooster1BGRooster1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both of mine and all others that I have seen have had double set triggers.The trigger guard looks like it is for the double set trigger but only has a single .What's up with that?CVA put on the wrong trigger guard?
    Otherwise a nice looking rifle.
    edited November -1
    U know you are right. Just took another look and it does have the double set trigger guard. I am thinking double set triggers was an option maybe.
    edited November -1
    Set of CVA double triggers on Flea BAY richt now @ $5.00. Not sure why double triggers would make this riffle better? Do you need a different fly on the lock for double triggers? I don't know a lot about locks & triggers.

oh yeah - NUTS![:D]
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a double-set trigger assembly on Rochelle's rifle. The rear trigger is missing. That's liable to be an issue with the winning bidder. The rifle will function just fine with only the front trigger present, since CVA like most outfits installed double-lever triggers that would work either set or unset, but still the gun is missing one or two parts that it left the factory with (the rear trigger and possibly the rear trigger mainspring -- no way of knowing without removing the trigger assembly from the stock).

BTW that's very nice little gun. You don't often see them for sale -- the people who have them tend to hang onto them. Book value on them might not be any higher than any other comparable CVA model, but down at Friendship, IN, they tend to fetch at least a small premium simply because they aren't commonly seen.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mongrel1776
    That is a double-set trigger assembly on Rochelle's rifle. The rear trigger is missing. That's liable to be an issue with the winning bidder. The rifle will function just fine with only the front trigger present, since CVA like most outfits installed double-lever triggers that would work either set or unset, but still the gun is missing one or two parts that it left the factory with (the rear trigger and possibly the rear trigger mainspring -- no way of knowing without removing the trigger assembly from the stock).

BTW that's very nice little gun. You don't often see them for sale -- the people who have them tend to hang onto them. Book value on them might not be any higher than any other comparable CVA model, but down at Friendship, IN, they tend to fetch at least a small premium simply because they aren't commonly seen.

Hard to tell but I think you may be right about the missing trigger. Makes me wonder how the lock works like this. Anyway I was bidding on this or actually my wife was but it went over the price we would pay for it.

Ended up winning a 45caliber with a 32" barrel so glad we didn't bid anymore.
    edited November -1
    The front trigger has its own lever to engage the sear, allowing the shooter to use the front trigger alone in situations where the "hair" pull after setting the rear trigger is not wanted. This is why the set triggers on CVA, T/C, and most other modern guns are referred to as "double-lever" mechanisms -- both triggers have a sear lever. On many original guns single-lever triggers were used; on these only the rear trigger could trip the sear, requiring that the rear trigger be set before the rifle could be fired.

Trigger pull on a double-lever trigger is usually (but not always) pretty atrocious when the front trigger is used alone. The design of most set trigger units is such that the geometry of the front trigger, especially its pivot point, and its placement in relation to the sear, is inferior to that of a purpose-built single trigger. The design works but is really a compromise set-up.

I build inexpensive semi-custom rifles around a lot of CVA barrels, locks, and other parts, so their trigger mechanisms are something I've messed with a time or two or several. The knowledge gained doesn't exactly make me an entertaining hit at parties [:D] but is now and then useful when it comes to things like this.
    edited November -1
    MMOMEQ-55 -- that Hawken in your signature box is a first-rate piece of work. I lean more toward long fullstocks, my ownself, but I've done a couple of PC Hawkens and they are a wickedly effective gun. Yours is one of the better I've seen in a good while.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mongrel1776
    MMOMEQ-55 -- that Hawken in your signature box is a first-rate piece of work. I lean more toward long fullstocks, my ownself, but I've done a couple of PC Hawkens and they are a wickedly effective gun. Yours is one of the better I've seen in a good while.

Thanks, this is a pic I borrowed. I am having one made identical to this one as I type this. It has been a long time coming but I am to pick it up in another week.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If someone wins the bid and finds out the trigger is missing then what can be done, nix the bid ?? just curious

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee