In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paper cartridges and Cornmeal filler ?

StradivariusStradivarius Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
Hello again guys and dolls - Sweden here again - I have a question about using Cornmeal as a filler in paper cartridges ( for my old Remington New Model Army revolver ). I am taking the advice i got about breaking it in by using low loads och Hodgdons 777 and gradually increasing the powder charge upp to the recommended load 30 grains. BUT ! i am confused - Wont the cornmeal filler make the inside of the barrel all " Sticky " and difficult t? clean ? -

I just can't get past the thought that i will clog up the bore/rifling already after the firts shot EVEN though i am using " Borebutter " on top of every bullet/boll.

Thanks in advance for the answer/advice.

Comments

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mmmmm... Smell of popcorn and burnt powder [:D]. Just use corn meal like grits. Unless you're using corn meal from a muffin mix there shouldn't be any issues.
  • StradivariusStradivarius Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the answer. BUT ! , ha ha i think i am ever more confused now - I just read that i can use " Oatmeal " as a filler insted of Cornmeal ??? - What do you guys think ? - Which filler would YOU ! prefer to use as a filler ?

Thanks in advance again for the help :o)

Sweden
    edited November -1
    Sorry guys and dolls, i forgot to ask if using " Oatmeal " filler instead of " Cornmeal " filler would be less chance of the bore/rifling colgging up with a sticky mess. Oat meal just seems to me to be less " Sticky ".

Thanks

Sweden
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been some good articles about cornmeal filler in Muzzle Blasts Magazine. As I recall, there was never a problem with the cornmeal getting "stickey" in the bore. Also, it required 30% of the powder amount (by volume) to seal the combustion. Cream of Wheat cereal was recommended as a better filler than cornmeal because the granuals are much more uniform. I have never read of using oatmeal as a filler.
    Example: 30 gr. black powder / 10 gr. of cornmeal (both volume measure). It took that ratio to create an effective gas seal behind the bullet. This is all from memory. You can experiment.
    edited November -1
    Hi Navc130 and thank ypu for the answer. I am sorry but i dont understan what you mean with " it required 30% of the powder amount (by volumn) to seal the combustion ". I must also try to find the name of cream of wheat cereal is in Swedish.
  • stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What we call Corn Meal for you is Ground Maize. What we call "grits" for you would be farina. Either is good as a filler, and neither will leave more residue in your gun than black powder. I would not recommend the oats used for oatmeal,thatwould surely leave a mess.
    I do hope you understand that all of the things referred to by other people in this thread are the raw, uncooked ingredients, not cooked porridge.
    edited November -1
    ............... Thanks guys [:D]
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder fresh cracked black pepper might be the way to go? Better yet cinnamon. They flash burn and they smell really good.
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys exchanging load info or recipes?
    edited November -1
    Nice one Yson [:D]