In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody got a recipe for .45LC reloads using....

Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
either WSF or Win 296.
Due to the dearth of components I am trying to build some ammo using what I have on hand. Both these powders say they can be used in a wide variety of handguns but I can't find any data for .45LC.
Are they just not suitable?

SS

Comments

• bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Win 296 in my "hold on with both hands" loads for my .357mag so I know .45LC is out on that powder.

WSF is just about like Herco, used in regular to heavy shotgun loads, trap loads.

If either were going to work the WSF would come closer. Win 296 definitely out IMHO.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    I use Win 296 in my "hold on with both hands" loads for my .357mag so I know .45LC is out on that powder.

WSF is just about like Herco, used in regular to heavy shotgun loads, trap loads.

If either were going to work the WSF would come closer. Win 296 definitely out IMHO.

Thanks for your input, Bam.
    I load cut down (to fit into my .45 SAAs) .410 cases with 12 1/2gr of 296, a couple of wads and 3/8 oz of #7 1/2 shot for pigeon/grouse loads around the ranch. They are a pleasure to shoot and don't have half the kick of my 200 gr RN with 5 gr of Titegroup. I know it's an apples and oranges kind of comparison but that's why I'm asking questions.
    I agree that the WSF is probably the better match. with #36 on the Winchester burn rate chart it is much closer to Titegroup's #14 than 296's #63.

SS
  • rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    john taffin's websight lists loads for the 45 colt using 296, i used them in a rifle with great success, don't think i would drop the hammer of a saa on one though