In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Greetings from Newbee

Pistolero45Pistolero45 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hello! My name is Mark, and I have decided to join your forum. As BP background, I built a T/C Hawken rifle from a kit in 1976. As a teenager I got pretty good shooting rabbits with that gun, and have slayed a dozen or so deer with it over the years. Last fall I shot a nice doe with an in-line, but that gun just does not have any personality. Now I have the itch to build a flintlock for the purpose of big game hunting. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at the Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf catalogs?
    You first must decide what style you want. Get a quality lock that will spark and work well. If you hunt from an enclosed blind a short barrel is much easier to manipulate. For big game, minimum caliber .50 - .54.
    Shorter barrel flintlock styles can be: fullstock Plains rifle, German Yager rifle, Indian trade musket - .62 cal. smoothbore. Or, just a shorter length Kentucky rifle would be authentic. Not common, but they were made so.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    As stated above, spend the money on the lock.
    You can get a decent barrel to group is you spend enough time finding what load it likes but if you do not have a good lock and spark, gun no go boom.
    Good luck to you.
  • Pistolero45Pistolero45 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have looked at both Track of the Wolf, and Dixie. I would prefer a full stock flintlock of at least .54 caliber. And a single trigger as I have discovered deer hear that set trigger - I hunt from the ground and take most shots at about 35 yards. There is no need for a patch box or anything fancy as this will be a hunting gun. Barrel length is a consideration as I am often in thick brush.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Pistolero, suggestion: step into the 20th century and try metallic cartridges and smokeless powder!!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Pistolero45Pistolero45 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've slayed somewhere between 50 and 60 big game animals. Metallic cartridges do work, but I am now interested in adding an additional challenge. I'm just a little too old and whimpy to take up traditional bow hunting.