In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

powder question

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
I have a CVA Kentucky pistol from the 80's. The barrel is marked Black Powder Only. I just want to make sure pyrodex p is safe. I know same volume as black powder and basically the equivalent burn, although a little more pressure.
Pyrodex has been around since the mid seventies, I would think it alright but want to make sure in a barrel marked Spain.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would feel safe using PYRODEX
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    Pyrodex works fine as long as your pistol is in percussion ignition.

If it is a flintlock pistol, you will want to find some real black powder.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What they said up there ^^^.

Black powder OR a product (like Pyrodex, Triple 7, Blackhorn 209, etc) that is manufactured as a black powder substitute. Subs give similar pressures and pressure curves, less corrosive, not as sensitive to accidental ignition.

Black powder is an explosive, and subject to a LOT of shipping and storage restrictions. The subs can be shipped and stored same as smokeless powder.

Saw a gun shop that had a small fire, but had 5 one lb cans of Goex fffG in the fire. Took the back wall out of the shop.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer - yes, it is appropriate to use. I have used Pyrodex P in my CVA single shot and revolvers for many years. As you stated, volume-to-volume equivalent measurement to black powder. Cleaning procedures are the same as black powder.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. The pistol is a percussion .45 that I bought 30 years ago as a kit, thought it about time to start shooting it.
    Got on the Blackhorn 209 website and they have an ignition alert, seems that is for modern inlines with shotshell primers.
    I have bought all the accessories, just need the powder and may get a loading stand, will get the pyrodex p when I get to town.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    good to go measure by volume