In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Black powder in modern cartridges

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
Is there a possible application to use black powder in progressive powder cartridges?
What is the equivalent amount of powder and what primer and how much velocity loss?
For example 30-06 150 gr bullet.

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago an old friend told me that he loaded black powder in his 270 using lead bullets. This was during WW2 when components were unavailable. I don't recall what the results were.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no desire to do this because of obvious reasons but I was curious about the characteristics of black powder on a necked cartridge, most old black cartridges were straight wall.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Progressive powder cartridge'????

The 44-40, 38-40, 32-20, 25-20, 45-70, 45-90, 45-110, 45-120, 50-70, et.al. were all BP cartridges and were not straight walled.
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi my father who is in his 70's has load a 30-30 with great results in target groups. seams most cases have a smaller case capacity so seams black powder has to be compressed.
    keep your powder dry
    mike
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No reason you can't stuff any cartridge with black powder and make it go bang. Just have to clean it properly. Buddy did some .38 specials and .357 specials. Use black in my 45 colt from time to time. Works fine.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    My 45-70 Sharps I load BP in just for the heck of it. I will have like 20 BP loads and I shoot them first. The smokeless seems to clean out some of the fouling in the barrel from the BP.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you try this, be certain that there is NO air space in the cartridge case. Slightly compressed would be prudent.