In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1858 Remington brass frame repica

Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went to my local pawn shop again the other day and found an Italian 1858 Remington brass frame .44. I got if for $75 plus tax. got it home and tore it apart and cleaned it up. the guy at the pawn shop said he didn't know any thing about "that type of gun". Same pawn shop I bought the .36 Thompson Center Hawken for less than $175.

Anyway, from looking at the internals and the barrel whoever owned it before I got it took good care of it. The only problem was either the tip of the trigger broke off or the notch on the hammer broke off. I've got a trigger coming and if that don't fix it I'll put a hammer on it. It'll go nice with my Italian 1860 army.

Bode

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have had both, for accuracy I prefered the remmington copy, only thing was I was lucky to get dozen shots without having to clean, the cylinder seems to bind up worse. My old colt copy I could shoot all day without having to clean.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got the new trigger installed but it still won?t stay on full cock consistently
    Will order a new hammer come payday
    I worked this thing over before I bought it and it seemed to function fine
    Don?t know if I broke it or it was rigged perty good
    Anyway I don?t mind putting some parts n it so I can shoot it
    edited November -1
    Got the new hammer installed, still not functioning properly. Put the old trigger back on with the new hammer and it?s good to go. Haven?t fired it yet but at least it works properly.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have little use for brass frame BP revolvers, but a T\C .36 Hawken was a STEAL for $175.
    edited November -1
    I agree about the TC Hawken .36, and I?ll probably not shoot the brass frame .44 enough to effect it.
  • coop359coop359 Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot over 650 balls out of both my 1851 brass frame 44s last year yes over 1300 balls , and didn't hurt them a bit