In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Schofield/Ubert ejector problem

BuffaloGunBuffaloGun Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
Hopefully someone here will have some info.
I have an Ubteri/Schofield in .45 Colt that I bought used. It has the Stoeger import markings. After a few mother of casual use the ejector star in the center of the cylinder began to stick when it was opened and would not return after kicking out the empties.
Not wanting to bugger up the screws and finish I dropped it off to a local 'smith who replace a broken spring and returned it and charged $50. It worked great for a few months and the ejector is again not returning after getting rid of the spent shells. I have not dropped it off but I suspect the spring has failed again.
The gun is NOT abused when opening/closing and only cowboy loads are used. I love the looks and feel on the gun and the accuracy is excellent. But with the same failure as an emerging pattern I am torn over finding a cure or getting ANOTHER Colt (like I need an excuse).
Anyone have any experience with these guns or feedback?

Comments

• flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Problem could be powder fouling if you haven't been removing the one latch screw that enables you to remove the cylinder from the gun, and getting everything squeaky-clean. If you shoot Trail Boss, or some cowboy "factory" loads, the powder is pretty dirty, and leaves a lot of fouling.

If the spring is broke again, you may have some other issue. I been shooting the hell out of mine for over four years, no ejector spring problems. Hope this is some help to you. Good luck !!
  • BuffaloGunBuffaloGun Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not used any BP loads because I have been warned about fouling on these guns. I have not yet used Trail Boss but I have picked up a container and will be starting.
    Should I be looking to R&R the cylinder as part of the routine cleaning after the range? I like the Schofield and if that stops the issue I will do it.
  • flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was counseled to remove and clean the cylinder as part of the cleaning procedure. Part of the lore is that back in the day, the Schofield was pretty sensitive to accumulated fouling.

There's "trick" to making the drill a little easier. you can get a spare latch screw from VTI, file one so that a quarter turn will allow you to lift the latch and remove the cylinder without having to run that screw all the way out each time.
  • BuffaloGunBuffaloGun Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup same with my spaghetti 44 russian I just take it apart spray some kroil on it let sit for a few minutes then blast clean with gun scrubber spray it's like carburetor cleaner spray, oil up with Remington oil and good to go for a while. PS some ammo will foul up this gun faster than other.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While you're at it, check for a forcing cone.
    I got splattered twice while next to two different Scofield shooters.