In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any .58 caliber shooters?

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
I recently picked up a pristine T/C Firehawk in .58 cal with scope. The availability for .58 cal bullets around here is slim. I bought a Lee REAL mold (440 grains) and cast a bunch of bullets then pan lubed them. Have not shot it yet, but looking forward to it. I'll update this thread with results when I get it dialed in.

Don

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming it is for hunting, have you thought about using a sabot with .50 cal. or .45 cal. bullets. I like that type of action.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is most definitely for hunting. I prefer conicals in a muzzleloader. Long story, but true. Years ago, my first muzzleloader was a T/C Thunderhawk .50 cal with 20" barrel. I tried every sabot/powder combination available and it would not consistently group any of them. I switched to conicals and have had 100% consistent accuracy. I know dozens of folks who use sabots and swear by them, but I don't like them. I could get 2 or 3 shots in a decent group, but always had the erroneous flyers even with cleaning the bore between shots. I tried not cleaning between shots and still had flyers.

I have owned 5 different modern inlines and none have done well with sabots, but all have done outstanding with conicals. The .58 Firehawk has a 1 in 38" twist barrel. My Lyman inline has a 1 in 28" and my Remington 700ML had a 1 in 28".

I just prefer conicals and will stick with what works for me.

I will post a range report on the .58 once this stifling heat and humidity subsides (could be September[:(], but hopefully before then)

Don
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I've got a .58 double rifle. unfortunetly I can't use conicals as the recoil would more the 2nd load forward and leave an air space (not good!). even with round balls it realy flattens a deer!
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a T/C 58 cal big boar when they came out I had to have one [:D]
    I sold it and found I could not live with one [B)][B)][:0] So I found another here on GB but have not shot if for several ++ years . still have some of the TC rounds for it . I bought some cast bullets off GB several years ago . also have some of the sabot loads for it .
    I plan on picking up a mold at some point to cast my own bullets for it .