In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

TC Shockwave bullets/sabots

Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have any experience with the effectiveness of the 250 gr TC Shockwave bullets (yellow nose cap) and the TC Superglide sabots on deer? The range would be a maximum of 100 yards and the charge would be 80 grains of 777.

Comments

• blackhawk45blackhawk45 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot two deer with my inlne ,loaded with 90grs. of Pyrodex RS,under a 250gr T/C Shockwave,both went straight down,no tracking involved.I feel there is no better bullet,for my inline !
  • GlenSGlenS Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit using them after I blew the 3rd shoulder out on 2 does & a decent buck. The off side shoulder had a hole the size of a baseball & the shoulder was burger in all 3 instances. 1 dropped where she stood & the other 2 MAY have gone 50yds tops. Dragging a leg the whole way. They are deadly lethal & 1" accurat at 100yds off the bench but they just do too much damage from my Winchester with 90grs of fffg Triple7. I went back to the QuikShoks. They more resemble the old maxi-ball with out the ridges & are only 240grs. But they are accurate,, 1 1/2" at 100yds,, & lethal for me with much less damage.
  • smokepolecollectorsmokepolecollector Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a 200 gr bullet with 120 grains of ffg goex and it does great. longest shot ay 237yrds and she went bout 20yrds. they are great bullets but wat shoots good in one gun mite not in another. You just have to play around a little to see wat shoots good.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love that bullet!
    I shoot the Hornady 250SST, same bullet, but with a red tip.
    I have killed 2 deer with it and gotten great results.
    Good penetration on the shoulder shot, good expansion on the rib shot.

One and a half inch groups what more could you ask for?
  • we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have killed alot of deer with my .45 cal.Encore shooting shockwaves. Excellent performance, very little tracking, hits'um hard.

I tried powerbelts, no consistency in my gun.
  • blackhawk45blackhawk45 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always shoot for the lungs,only meat waisted,is a little of the rib meat.Shockwaves knock deer flat !JMHO
    edited November -1
    I also favor the lung shot.
    On the shoulder shot, the deer had spotted me. He was quartering away, and he was starting to get spooked.
    So for a 40 yard shot it was difficult, had to make it fast.
    I made the center of the lungs, right side, and the bullet went right through the left shoulder.
    I had a one inch entrance wound, and then I also had a 2 inch exit hole left shoulder. Plus the bullet blew out the shoulder bone, the humerus.

Great performance.
  • Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the replies....season is over right now, but I will do some shooting after the weather clears up. I am going to compare the TC Shockwaves with the Hornady 240 gr XTP loads to see which ones are more consistently accurate.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzleloaders shooting sabots have incredible killing power on deer sized animals.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GlenS
    I quit using them after I blew the 3rd shoulder out on 2 does & a decent buck. The off side shoulder had a hole the size of a baseball & the shoulder was burger in all 3 instances. 1 dropped where she stood & the other 2 MAY have gone 50yds tops. Dragging a leg the whole way. They are deadly lethal & 1" accurat at 100yds off the bench but they just do too much damage from my Winchester with 90grs of fffg Triple7. I went back to the QuikShoks. They more resemble the old maxi-ball with out the ridges & are only 240grs. But they are accurate,, 1 1/2" at 100yds,, & lethal for me with much less damage.

It doesn't bother me to blow up a shoulder. Even on a big deer there is only 2 or 3 pounds of meat on the shoulder and you can't make steaks with it, it is burger only.
    So, if a shoulder get blasted to a pulp, but a clean kill is made, doesn't bother me.
    And, the dogs love that raw, bloodshot meat. Cats love it too.