In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45-70

Dr. JuanDr. Juan Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
Can I safely shot the Hornaday lever loads in my Trapdoor rifle?

Comments

• Dr. JuanDr. Juan Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Springfield 45-70 rifle that is in great shape. I have shot it several times with some Cowboy loads. Can I safely shot the Lever loads made by Hornaday in it? I have asked Hornaday, but they do not
    respond. Thanks for any help.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    NO, stick with the lighter loads. There are 3 series of loads in most newer manuals, trap door, lever action Marlin and Ruger #1/ bolt action. They are listed that way for a reason, trap doors and Winchesters have a much weaker action than the newer Marlin lever guns, and of course the Ruger #1s and Mauser type bolt guns are way stronger. Do not, I repete do not try shooting anything but the basic light 45-70 rounds in your trap door Springfield.
    W.D.
  • Dr. JuanDr. Juan Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dr. Juan
    I have a Springfield 45-70 rifle that is in great shape. I have shot it several times with some Cowboy loads. Can I safely shot the Lever loads made by Hornaday in it? I have asked Hornaday, but they do not
    respond. Thanks for any help.

Hornady answered yes because this particular load is Cowbooy load.
    Thanks
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any reload manual will clearly show the difference between the three load levels ...and explain why ...safety first