In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Le Mat revolver

Ray1946Ray1946 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
A good friend of mine has a Le Mat replica revolver and he has offered it to me for what I feel is a very good price. Does anyone out there have any info about these unique old guns?

I have been fascinated by them since I first saw one about 50 years ago. Thanks all and have a great Thanksgiving................

Comments

• peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would like to have one myself, nice gun. Of course just about any firearm over 50 years looks nice to me.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only chain fire I ever witnessed first hand was from a Le Mat reproduction. As the safety officer closest to the shooter I stopped him and asked him not to shoot it anymore..
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode
    The only chain fire I ever witnessed first hand was from a Le Mat reproduction. As the safety officer closest to the shooter I stopped him and asked him not to shoot it anymore..

So, what's your point?

The LeMat is a fun gun to shoot. They do have their weak points; however. The loading lever is not easy to use. The geometry takes some getting used to, and the two piece (rod inside a tube) constrction is not very strong and bends easily. Chainfires can be easily eliminated (in any C&B) by using correct sized caps and balls; and either grease over the ball (not my favorite method cause it is too messy) or a lubed wads under the ball (my preferred method - it's quick and clean) The shotgun barrel is not a true 16 or 20 gauge - it's somewhere in between (at least on the one I had) which makes it a little problematic in loading. A greased paper towel wad is what I used for a cushion wad.

LeMats on GB are going for between $600 and $800, so if you can get one for less, you're doing good.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one from an individual for $175.00. I never fired it. I ended up selling it for $350.00. I don't think it had ever been fired, at least it didn't look like it.

And the point I was trying to make was that the only chain fire I had ever witness was from a Le Mat, that's all. And he was using those pre-lubed wads between bullet and powder.
  • flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, what do you figure was the cause of that chain-fire ? Do you reckon it had anything to do with the LeMat design ? If so, what ?