In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

lever action, navy arms value

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
what is approx value of 38spl, navy arms, 19in barrel, brass receiver yellow boy? lightly used.
Any suggested load utilizing 158gr jacketed?

Comments

• 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In excellent condition it should bring $550 - $600.
    edited November -1
    As for a load, do you mean factory load or handload? If factory, I would say any UMC, Winchester or Federal generic box would be fine. They tend to feed better with bullets that have a long ogive.
    If you mean handload, well, there's a million combinations.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried a 158gr flat nose jacketed with 10gr of 2400. it shot very well. I do not do cowboy action shooting. This is my first experience with a 38spl in a rifle. I was wondering what would be good combination with the 19in barrel. Can you push this load up being that it is from a rifle action and longer barrel than pistol loads. The frame main is brass with steel lockup parts. Should I consider a lighter bullet? I shot some cast bullets and they performed well but I noticed lead residue at muzzle, will stick with jacketed. Another issue new to me is if you push in the side loading gate with rifle loaded a cartridge will jump from the tube into the action loading arm in effect jamming the rifle unless you push the round back into the tube and the rim away from the gate leading edge. While loading the rifle you must insert cartridge only partially into the loading gate, full insertion prevents you from adding another cartridge past the loading gate. Could this be due to the overall length of my cartridge? Too short?
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't go hotter than maximum 38 special loads, as this rifle is toggle action and they don't tolerate high pressure. I'm not sure what your loading gate trouble is without seeing it, you might have a worn or defective part. I would have a gunsmith, one who does a lot of CAS rifle work and is familiar with these guns, take a look at it.