In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45-60 Ammunition - Help!

batwingmowbatwingmow Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
Howdy - I am in need of some Winchester 45-60 Ammunition and have tried retailers, ammo manufacturers, on-line stores, etc with no luck. Can someone help me with a box or less of 45-60 Winchester?

I would even settle for some brass.

Thanks

Comments

• longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in a gun shop in Bridgeport, Ne. this winter that had several boxes & components of that cal. Don't remember the name of the place. Along Hwy 385 & Hwy 26. Small town, probably the only gun & bait shop in town.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking at the cartridge dimensions, you should be able to make the cases from 45-70 brass, just by shortening them.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be aware that there is a head size difference from the 45/60 and the 45/70, not just length. I have heard that some of the newer repro model guns like the Uberti 86 have the bolts machined for the 45/70 thickness and MAY have headspace troubles if used with real 45/60 brass.
  • batwingmowbatwingmow Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    Ten -X maybe: http://tenxammo.com/files/Shooter_Direct_Pricing_01132012.pdf
    Tried Them and OUT OUT OUT - Thanks Anyway!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    I was in a gun shop in Bridgeport, Ne. this winter that had several boxes & components of that cal. Don't remember the name of the place. Along Hwy 385 & Hwy 26. Small town, probably the only gun & bait shop in town.
    I looked them up and it is Deweys Sporting Goods - I called and it was real close - they had 40-60 not 45-60. Thanks Anyway!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    Be aware that there is a head size difference from the 45/60 and the 45/70, not just length. I have heard that some of the newer repro model guns like the Uberti 86 have the bolts machined for the 45/70 thickness and MAY have headspace troubles if used with real 45/60 brass.
    this is for an old 76 - It is at the gunsmith now getting a new extractor and firing pin installed. I was extrememly lucky and found some original parts online but still don't know if I am gonna end up with a shooter or a wall hanger!
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey my memory isn't as good as it was, but at least I was close anyway.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a vid of what you need to do. Remember, that 76 is a WEAK action...No hot loads!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsNIhJCAWY
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    Here is a vid of what you need to do. Remember, that 76 is a WEAK action...No hot loads!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsNIhJCAWY
    Thanks for the tip and the video!
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry they're out, Ten-x is usually a go-to for Couwboy stuff around here. If they have a wait list, put your name on it.

Hopefully you'll locate some .45-60 soon.
  • GatofeoGatofeo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gad Custom Cartridges sells loaded cartridges -- 20 cartridges for $28.
    Gad also sells the proper projectile: lead, 340 gr. flatpoint bullet of .457" diameter. Cost is $20 per 100.
    Check out the Gad Custom Cartridge website at:

http://gadcustomcartridges.com/

This should get your 1876 barking again. If you decide to reload, use only black powder, Pyrodex RS or CTG grade, or smokeless powders that create pressures equal to black powder.
    Don't hot rod the 1876, it's a weak action.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gatofeo
    Gad Custom Cartridges sells loaded cartridges -- 20 cartridges for $28.
    Gad also sells the proper projectile: lead, 340 gr. flatpoint bullet of .457" diameter. Cost is $20 per 100.
    Check out the Gad Custom Cartridge website at:

http://gadcustomcartridges.com/

This should get your 1876 barking again. If you decide to reload, use only black powder, Pyrodex RS or CTG grade, or smokeless powders that create pressures equal to black powder.
    Don't hot rod the 1876, it's a weak action.
    OK - I will give em a try - NOW MY GUNSMITH TELLS ME WE NEED A FIRING PIN RETAINER FOR THE 76 - NELP!
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i shoot a original 76 win made in 1883 45-60,i bought cases at a gun show and shoot 350gr cast bullets with 29grs imr 4198. i reload with 45-70 dies, i did have the seat,crimp die shortened up so i could crimp the shorter 45-60. its easy to make them out of 45-70,s by shortening the case and thinning the rim. over all lenth must be watched as to long or to short a shell will jam the rifle up causeing you to remove the magizine tube and removing the offending shell.good luck.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    according to garp

(You forgot that part!)
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i was up late,according to garp.