In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

12 ga BP question wad cards

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
I am new to this and have a pkg of cards . 100 thick and 100 thin

I am thinking I would load ch. fg then a thick one then shot then thin... but I am not assuming to know.

Lil help

I really plan to use the plastic wad from a shotgun shell and only need to place the last card... so thick thin either on top of a plastic cup?

note:I should clarify.. Muzzleloading a modern (80's) italian import 12 ga. / .58 bp precusion cap
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not advisable to use plastic in black powder shot shells. Find some fiber cushion wads. The card wads are for over the powder and over the shot. http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html Check out this site for a good tutorial.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    533997_10200965084794835_166205891_n.jpg

i have these two
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    You need one more. The fiber cushion that was mentioned.
    It should be powder, the thick one you have pictured, the fiber which is about 1/2" thick, shot, then the thinnest wad.
    I'll try to post pics later.
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]shotgunwads.jpg

Here is the fiber and over powder wad. I didn't feel like digging in the cabinet for the over shot wad but, you already know what
    it is. [;)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks i got it.

150779_10200965155276597_344384447_n.jpg

Seems like this would be just the ticket in a modern steel barrel... and the cup would keep the shot together... Smokeless powder doesnt burn the plastic but bp would?
    edited November -1
    It's the difference in the rate of burn. I do know some who shot plastic wads in bp. I never have.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I never have shot the plastic wads myself, a guy I work with says he used to all the time, kept the pattern tighter. guess you could try and then find the wad give it the once over to see if any melted..
  • flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back to those wads, the 1/8" hard "nitro" card is intended to keep the powder from absorbing lubricant, which your fat "cushion" wad should be saturated with. No need for that if you're shooting trap, but a good idea if you're hunting.

One of the advantages of BP shotgun is how cheap you can shoot . . . so why go to plastic ? Besides, you don't really need fancy wads . . . you can crumple up a wad of newspaper for both, just be sure you're not setting dry grass on fire.
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. I cant wait to set the countryside AFIRE!!!

I will be practicing this summer for the fall whitetail BP season.
    579582_10200969866194367_56393444_n.jpg
    This setup is a .58 cal rifled first shot and a big ole 12 (.69 i think)patched round ball for any follow up shot...

I will try to post a range report
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roswellnative
    Thanks all. I cant wait to set the countryside AFIRE!!!

I will be practicing this summer for the fall whitetail BP season.
    579582_10200969866194367_56393444_n.jpg
    This setup is a .58 cal rifled first shot and a big ole 12 (.69 i think)patched round ball for any follow up shot...

I will try to post a range report

Don't know where you hunt, but in WVa it is illegal to muzzleload hunt with a double barrell for deer/big game. you may want to check your local game laws, shotgun hunting for small game is legal, no double rifles which the shotgun is considered if loaded with a slug/ball.