In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pyrodex

62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
What is the shelf life for Pyrodex? If it degrades are there any tell-tales like odor or discoloration? If it has gone past an expiration line how should it be disposed of?

Comments

• odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello 62fuelie,

To my knowledge there is no official expiration time frame for Pyrodex. But I have heard from many differant folks that an open can will draw moisture and weaken it. I know one guy that had an open can,(meaning that the lid was on but the seal had been broken and powder used), and after 15 years of deer seasons use, had a misfire/fail ignition from a cap. From what I have heard Pyrodex does not break down, discolor, or change in anyway.

So how to get rid of it????? Here is the word from another site:
    "Black powder has potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulpher, all soil fertilizers. Pyrodex is formulated with calcium cyanimide which may decompose into cyanide or might form small amounts of phosgene (nerve) gas. I would not pour it on the ground where pets or children could be exposed to it or pour it into potable water. The formulation that is called Pyrodex is used as a high explosive in mining operations (blasting powder). This complicates disposal."
    I would say that if you can not shot it up/use it up, I would turn it into your local police or if your local dump has an ammo turn-in site.
  • odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost forgot...... If you know how to contact any re-enactors or living historians in your area I am sure they could use it. I have used up old Pyrodex in the past by mixing it in with my BP when making blank cartridges for all muzzle loading re-enacting.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some realy old Pyrodex in the cardboard boxes, opened, and it still goes bang with authority. Not sure of velocities are up to snuff and I only use it for plinking and target practice. Use newer stuff for hunting. Need to chronograph some.