In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cleanest BP substitute??

distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
What is the cleanest BP substitute you have found?

Comments

• 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say American Pioneer Powder also known by Jim Shockey's Gold. Virtually no residue. You can shoot 100's of shots without cleaning. What little it does leave will wipe clean with a wet (water) patch. It does produce slightly lower velocities and is very hydroscopic, but I've used a lot of it. If you have cast bullets with the red lube (for smokeless powder) it works fine with those.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    blackhorn 209 is good also, and noncorrisive
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    blackhorn 209 is good also, and noncorrisive

Blackhorn 209 is great!![:)]
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon 777 is a wonderful BP substitute. I've used it for years with no problems and no complaints. You still have smoke and you still have to clean up but it is not nearly as difficult as the original black stuff.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    American Pioneer Powder formerly named CleanShot is about as clean as it gets for a BP sub in my opinion. I used it when I was shooting SASS matches in Frontier Cartridge. No lube is required with it because it makes it's own lube. You don't have to measure it just fill the casing full and leave just enough room for the bullet to compress the powder a little. If you want something real mild to shoot in an old gun then you can load milder rounds by using less powder and then pinch off a piece of foam rubber from an old pillow or sponge or a piece of backer rod and stick it in the casing on top of the powder as a filler and then seat the bullet on top of it.

The American Pioneer Powder also makes more smoke than real black powder. It's easier to clean up to and it's not nearly as corrosive as black powder. As for the spent brass I still used a milk jug filled with a mixture of dish washing liquid, vinegar and water to drop them in after shooting which made them a lot easier to clean when I got home after a shooting match.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    Hodgdon 777 is a wonderful BP substitute. I've used it for years with no problems and no complaints. You still have smoke and you still have to clean up but it is not nearly as difficult as the original black stuff.

+1
  • blackpowder70blackpowder70 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot Hodgens 777. I have tried many others over the years but like 777 the best. I never liked the American Pioneer Powder. I thought it was more difficult to clean from my gun than 777. I also don't like how the American Pioneer pellets come in a "jug" and not a case like the 777.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    I shoot Hodgens 777. I have tried many others over the years but like 777 the best. I never liked the American Pioneer Powder. I thought it was more difficult to clean from my gun than 777. I also don't like how the American Pioneer pellets come in a "jug" and not a case like the 777.

Triple 7 canister type 2F here also for 12 years or so and Winchester triple 7 209 primers. Triple 7 stores great when kept in controlled environment in it's original container. Use about 70-80 grains in 45 and 50 calibers with sabots. Also use the triple 7 in T/C Hawken sidelocks that are converted to 209 with the Mag spark adapter.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I said a while back: Hodgdon 777 is a wonderful BP substitute. I'm sticking with it. I may even give it a try in my flint lock Kentucky Pistol. I've been told that it won't work, but I may just give it a try. Real BP clean up is a hassle!
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you shoot pellets, try IMR's "White Hots".
    They are virtually instantaneous ignition and almost zero residue.
    If I'm not using White Hots it's Jim Shockey's American Pioneer Powder.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk

The original "black stuff" is anything but difficult to clean.
  • Ruckin69Ruckin69 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • NewtireNewtire Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have used Alliant MZ Black and 777 both (NOT mixed together!)

Both worked well but were tough to get to go off.

I found that the "Black MZ" velocity got real close to 777 once I was using heavier projectiles-Minie balls in .58 Zouave but was a little slower in smaller bores.

I installed musket cap nipples and took care of most of my misfire problems but always seem to have great luck blowing off a charge with just paper wadding on it and a small amount of 3F 777 pushed into the nipple before I load one with a real projectile. This first shot with the loaded nipple is a bit of a pop-foosh-bang but after that, it goes off real regular. Guess it burns out all the oil etc. doing this.

Some folks think these powders are like Pyrodex but there is no comparison. These don't seem to need much cleanup after and don't come back and rust your gun 2-days later like I've had happen with Pyrodex.

Also haven't had to clean between shots using this stuff. We can't use 209 primers here in Idaho during M/L season so haven't tried the Blackhorn.