In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tomahawks and knives

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
I've been shooting muzzle loaders for 11 years now. Out at our BP club some of the guys have been throwing tomahawks and knives for years, but I'm just getting into it. Lots of fun! Next thing you know ... I'll be starting fires in 15 seconds. Then I could become a real menace to society!

Comments

• anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just kind of wondering what others are thinking of these kind of "primitive activities"?
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kids earn merit badges for these activities....if they are not to busy attending sensitivity training for their new recruits
    edited November -1
    Well, that could settle it ... I'm just a big kid! But I do have to say that throwing the tomahawks is a lot of fun. Just no bang or smoke!
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    Just kind of wondering what others are thinking of these kind of "primitive activities"?

I have pretty much quit going to rendezvous quite a few years ago.
    But, I can still get fire with flint an steel in under 10 seconds, set a double spring beaver trap in under 5 seconds.
    I was never the best with knife but, enjoyed tomahawk handle matches. That is where you have a group, and you take turns going first. First guy throws then, the rest aim for his handle. [:D]
    I started out at age 13 at rendezvous.
    Progressed to F&I reenacting by 17.
    The skills I learned at our local club in Central Il. have served me very well.
    Enjoy the heck out of your new found skills
    edited November -1
    Cool. And this weekend we have another competition out at the club. Central Illinois, ya say ... I'm originally from Kankakee, Illinnois.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    Cool. And this weekend we have another competition out at the club. Central Illinois, ya say ... I'm originally from Kankakee, Illinnois.

Our club is Prairie Land Frontiersmen. Sullivan.
    edited November -1
    I'm getting pretty good with my tomahawks, but the knives ... that is another story! I'll have to get in some extra practice during the Winter Rendez Vous!
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I attended the NMLRA annual shoot at Friendship, IN several times in the 70's. There was an old-timer they called Cricket who could do some neat things with a 'hawk such as sticking it with handle pointing down and next throw with it pointing up, seemingly with the same motion. One of those guys who didn't seem to miss very often.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yonson
    I attended the NMLRA annual shoot at Friendship, IN several times in the 70's. There was an old-timer they called Cricket who could do some neat things with a 'hawk such as sticking it with handle pointing down and next throw with it pointing up, seemingly with the same motion. One of those guys who didn't seem to miss very often.

The 70's were before my time there.
    I'm thinking 83 or 84 was my first time at Friendship.
    edited November -1
    Our Winter Rendez vous at the Moncton Buckskinners Muzzle Loading Association is this weekend (28 Feb & 1 Mar). Fun to be had by all! Shooting, Throwing and Eating!