In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Coach guns

JedediahJedediah Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Iam looking at coach guns from Baikal and Stoeger.Any info or warnings on quality and reliability? Jed

Comments

• Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bught a Stoeger coach gun and so far I'm happy with it.I"ve had the uplander versioh for years and except for the firing pin bushings sneaking out now and then,the Stoegers will for sure hold up for a long time.
    Sorry,no info to share on the Baikal's except to say I've read way more good reports than bad.
  • ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at the Coach Guns by Cimarron?

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/

I am partial to the old style doubles with side hammers, simply because I a can keep it loaded and it won't go bang unless I cock it....

Very good quality and I think American made....
  • templin9templin9 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had two coachguns from Stoeger, first a 12 and now a 20. I love them. The 12 kicked a bit too much for me after I had shoulder surgery, but the 20 is great. A wonderful turkey gun. I just wish they could get interchangeable barrels so I could use it for trap, etc. A buddy of mine has a Biakal and loves it. I have fired it a few times and it is a nice gun as well. Everyone I know who has one of either like them. Hope this helps.
  • xplagxplag Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Jed,

I just picked up a Stoeger Coach from Dick's Sporting Goods today ($299 woot!). I was a little worried because I had done a great deal of research on Stoegers, and the reviews were pretty mixed, but impulse and the price just goaded me on until I bought it. When I got home, I did the routine cleaning (oil, steel brush through barrels, more oil) and was surprised as to how well it seemed to built. I handled multiple SxS configurations and this was on par (in my hands) with some higher end models (though these were used, so I can't say much for maintenance).

Now, I'm not a CAS shooter or a super experienced shooter/tinkerer/whatnot, but I hope my first impressions of the gun can help with your decision.

Breaking open the shotgun for loading is still a little stiff, but not terrible. I can push the lever and swing the gun down with one hand and it will open up fine for loading. I also slid a shell into the barrel and tilted the gun back, and the shell slipped out smoothly. From what I've gathered, this is a trait important in CAS and I've read before that other Stoegers needed work done for this to happen, but it seems the newer models do it fine.

I'm going out next week to shoot it, I'll post up later if you want on how it shoots.

UPDATE: I went out shooting today, the Stoeger is a ton of fun. Shoots well, didnt' have a bit of trouble with it all day. Shells slip right out, you can break open the gun and toss it over your shoulder and the shells will pop right out for easy reload.

I found it a bit difficult getting used to the side by side for shooting, but that's not a fault of the gun, more my noobieness.

I would recommend picking up a slip on butt pad, as the gun kicks quite a bit and the stock will dig hard into your shoulder. I got a Pachmayer from Amazon and it worked well enough.

One thing to note: the gun does NOT like Winchester rounds for some reason. I shot Federal, Remington, and Winchester (at least 25 rounds of each, but mostly Federals) and the gun wouldn't break open properly when loaded with Winchesters. Didn't have a single problem with any of the other rounds I fired, so I'm almost certain it's an issue with Winchesters (the kind you get at Walmart in 100 pack, at least).

Also, when shooting slugs and 00 buck (which it fired quite nicely), the shells won't slip out like standard shotshells, but it's not hard to pop them out.