In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

French 1842 musket

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
I have an old French 1842 musket I believe to be .60 that has been laying around the shop for a couple of years. I just ran some Krol oil in the spray can with a pip through the nipple and Krol came rolling out the muzzle so the nipple is clear. The fire control seems to work well and I'm thinking about shooting it. What do you guys think? Any idea what size cap and what powder I should order??
I have the bayonet for this musket and it is bad *. French model 1842 Yataghan Sword Bayonet. 22 3/4 inch re curved blade and brass handle.

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds really cool.Can you post up pictures??
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    edited November -1
    I too would really enjoy seeing pictures of your musket Ricci!

I would remove the barrel and check the breech condition before shooting. Remove breech plug and inspect the threads for corrosion and proper fit.

If all is well, get some 2F black powder, thick cotton patch material or large pre cut patching, and some pure lead round balls that are just a hair undersized to your bore.

You can lube your patch material with a dab of Crisco, or just wet with spit for fair warm weather shooting.

I would start with using 60 grains of powder and I believe you will need to get some musket size top hat caps for your nipple. Check on the nipple size for this, top hats should fit.

The first shot or two I would do from a remote position. That is using a string to pull the trigger and your musket held securely between a couple of tires. (Safety first is my middle name!)

After that just enjoy making sure you always wear good safety glasses for all of your shooting.[8D]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must post pics.

Lockplate closeups please.

I have 9 French long guns but none that old.

Mike
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    edited November -1
    Oh yea, that bayonet sounds pretty cool! May be worth more than your musket! Pics Please
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have kid shoots at the four H club and shoot 25-30 grains powder just so the kids can say they shot muzzleloader. I wouldn't go much more than that for the first shot, safety is more important than accuracy.