In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1858 Remington New Model Army-Shoots to high

StradivariusStradivarius Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
Hello Sweden here again guys. I have took advice i got and shot in my old original 1858 Remington New Model Army carfully. I shot 6 shots with 15 gr of 777 and a .454 roung balls - One week later i shot it again with 20 gr of 777 and.454 round balls - One week later i shot it with 25 gr of 777 and .454 round balls.

I shot at a board with a big X on it from 10 meters. My problem is that it shot to high every time no matter what load i hade in it. It even shot a bit to the left. The bit to the left must be ma fault, but the shooting to high ever time no matter what the load was is i am pretty sure becouse of the front sight.

Or !!! is it that the sight is shot it at 75 yards acording to "Wikepedia" and i am just standing to close ? - Now i have it loaded with 30 gr of 777 and .454 round balls and ready to shoot it.

Would ALL the ORIGINAL 1858 Reemington New Model armt revolvers shoot to high i one was standing that close to the target ( 10 meters ). MUST i change the front sight on it to a higher one ?

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally, all of the Colt and Remington percussion revolvers were sighted to shoot high. They were military firearms and sighted to aim at the body midsection and make a hit at whatever the practical distance was. Your only solution is to raise the front sight. Either solder an extension on it or replace it with a new, higher sight. There are other temporary ways to affix a higher sight and keep the gun original.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how high is to high?? a few inches or a foot or so? if it is just a few inches use kentucky windage, or move your target back to 20-25 meters, which should bring you down closer.