In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Long Rifle Information Requested

ClabberClabber Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
I recently purchased a long rifle as part of a collection and I would appreciate any information concerning its age, school, any unique characteristics and estimated value. It is rough shape, especially the stock and lock. I think it is an original. It has iron furniture like a VA or Appalachian gun. I've never seen rifling exactly like this one. The builder was not especially artistic and I question his skill level based on fit and finish of the stock and metal. I wished these guns could talk. Thanks in advance for any comments. I apologize for so many photos. Clabber
Img6699.jpg
Img6700.jpg
Img6703.jpg
Img6702.jpg
Img6704.jpg
Img6708.jpg
Img6709.jpg
Img6713.jpg
Img6715.jpg
Img6716.jpg
Img6717.jpg
Img6718.jpg
Img6724.jpg
Img6725.jpg
Img6727.jpg
Img6728.jpg
Img6729.jpg
Img6637.jpg
Img6634.jpg
Img6640.jpg
Img6626.jpg
Img6622.jpg
Img6630.jpg
Img6722.jpg
Img6735.jpg

Comments

• Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like you say it is pretty rough, but still a nice old gun. Probably a replica, right?
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that it is most likely a Appalachian rifle of late period 1850 to 1900. It also could be from Western Kentucky or Indiana. It is a plain but well constructed rifle. You are very fortunate that the stock is not broken and it is complete witn no missing parts. For a plain, using rifle I would put it at Good + condition. Value $300+ (my opinion).
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt that is a replica. Looks like the real deal to me.
  • Options
    BobSmBobSm Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As already noted, it looks to be an iron-mounted, Southern "poor boy" in maple with a Spence-style set trigger. The barrel appears to be uncut, so don't try to shoot it without a complete dismantle of breech plug and drum to insure you still have barrel wall thickness in those areas. This rifle was poorly cared for...hence the corrosion of the lock and breech compared to the trigger...and was probably stored loaded. Loaded guns rot from the inside out in areas you can't see with a borelight.

A nice, untouched example. Limit what you do to the original finish to one of these kits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290800661769?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649