In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jim Shockey Gold

jednorrisjednorris Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
When I started loading my .40/65 Black Powder cartridge rifle I used Jim Shockey Gold F.F.F.G. with good results. After a couple of months I went to shoot it again and it was inconsistant. I went to load up some more cartridges and the powder in the container was one big solid ball. I busted it up and loaded it, but it occured to me that all my previous reloads had solidified in the case causing poor ignition. I pulled a bullet, and sure enough the powder was solidly packed in the case. For over a month now I have tried contacting the company and have been ignored. I am going to Goex and pray I have a more consistant burn rate.
Disappointed in Jim

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the reason I use nothing but REAL black powder, most otf the substitutes have short shelf life, with poor ignition. There was one that had mountain in the name, I think it was white mountain, my cousin got a can and the next year we couldn't get it to do more than fizzle even when we threw it in the fireplace!!! black powder may be messy, but it allways goes bang for me when I pull the trigger...
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    try blackhorn 209, is works for me anyway
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Hodgdon Triple Seven in all my BP long guns. I think it works great, and it is super easy to clean up. I don't know why, but I use the real stuff in my Kentucky Pistol. But I'm not sure why ... maybe just to remind me why I like Hodgdon Triple Seven so much!
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Hodgdon Triple Seven in all my BP long guns. I think it works great, and it is super easy to clean up. I don't know why, but I use the real stuff in my Kentucky Pistol. But I'm not sure why ... maybe just to remind me why I like Hodgdon Triple Seven so much!
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jednorris
    When I started loading my .40/65 Black Powder cartridge rifle I used Jim Shockey Gold F.F.F.G. with good results. After a couple of months I went to shoot it again and it was inconsistant. I went to load up some more cartridges and the powder in the container was one big solid ball. I busted it up and loaded it, but it occured to me that all my previous reloads had solidified in the case causing poor ignition. I pulled a bullet, and sure enough the powder was solidly packed in the case. For over a month now I have tried contacting the company and have been ignored. I am going to Goex and pray I have a more consistant burn rate.
    Disappointed in Jim

I was trying to contact American Pioneer powder couple years back with your same complaint about it hardening and no storage life.
    They never would answer after several attempts over long period of time. I finally, like you got disappointed in Jim endorsing this powder knowing it was just Bull ShXX and could not watch his tv shows any longer knowing he was spreading BS with this endorsement.
    I just happen to see Jim Shockey website one day and sent him a email about American Pioneer Powder not answering emails and him on TV endorsing their powder and I had to immediately turn the tv channel when I seen him spreading BS about their good powder with his name on such and few days later the powder company sent me a email apologizing for their delayed replies, etc, but still no answer to my questions about their sorry assed powder.

I've been using Triple seven granulated powder for last 10 years or so, mostly the 2F, it stores great and is consistent. I do have to use 209 ignition unless I add just a smigen of primer of 3F black powder first if using #11 caps or musket caps.
    I suspect Jim gets a FREE batch of fresh American Pioneer powder each time he goes out hunting, if he even uses it.

I'm also disappointed in Jim still endorsing their POS powder and makes me wonder about some of the other products he endorses.[:(]
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a reason there are desiccant packs in the bottles of APP & Shockey Gold. Citrus based powders don't work well when they get wet/damp and dry back out. Real blackpowder can get wet and return to full potency when dried. Citrus based doesn't. I quit using APP in my 44-40s because they started shooting patterns in my '66 Winchester clone instead of groups. It got to where I couldn't hit an 18x18 inch plate at 50 yards using cartridges more than a couple months old.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ken44-40
    There is a reason there are desiccant packs in the bottles of APP & Shockey Gold. Citrus based powders don't work well when they get wet/damp and dry back out. Real blackpowder can get wet and return to full potency when dried. Citrus based doesn't. I quit using APP in my 44-40s because they started shooting patterns in my '66 Winchester clone instead of groups. It got to where I couldn't hit an 18x18 inch plate at 50 yards using cartridges more than a couple months old.

Right about the moisture packs. I was storing the APP right along side others black powders, Goex and Triple 7 in a controlled environment at 68 to 72 degrees year round and it set up hard as a rock. I've got Triple 7 that still operates great in both granules and pellets that is at least 10 years old and still operates like when new. I also store the powders in their original containers with a good closed tight lid with good seal and then inside a zip lock bag with all the air squeezed out before sealing the bag, and the whole canister never goes outside the controlled environment, I only take what I'm going to use outside for measuring then label the left over aprictice powder. (the original containers are only used as go to's)

I've never tried the blackhorn 209 because when I found out how well the triple 7 shoots consistent groups (if stored wisely) and ignites well with 209's I had no reason to try anything else. APP sucks big air and JIM needs to take a closer look at bragging about how great APP powders are and I would maybe watch more of his shows. They (Jim and APP) have left a bad taste in my mouth that just won't go away and it's been like 8 years ago.
    Jim did immediately respond to my email about APP and said he would have them contact me and they did few seeks later, but they just let on like it was a big surprise to them and they were sorry for my inconvience of their product. (yea sure)