In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CVA Buckhorn magnum .50

coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
Are these generally regarded as good rifles? Picked one up at wally world, just cause it was on sale. What type of accuracy can I expect from it, if I do my part? Thanks, Colton

3e2a1620.jpg

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CVA is generally considered a "budget" rifle, but it should do the job for you.
  • coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    CVA is generally considered a "budget" rifle, but it should do the job for you.

My max hunting range is about 100 yards. Anything further out and I can't see it through the trees. Thinking about throwing a 4x scope on it if I can find the mounts.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a good starter, little tricky to clean, once you get the hang of it you should have no trouble. You will probubly have a shore shoulder sighting it in. To get maximum accuracy you need to vary the powder charge up or down 5-10 grains till patter tightens up as tight as possible. Did you get a starter kit??
  • coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    It is a good starter, little tricky to clean, once you get the hang of it you should have no trouble. You will probubly have a shore shoulder sighting it in. To get maximum accuracy you need to vary the powder charge up or down 5-10 grains till patter tightens up as tight as possible. Did you get a starter kit??

No. I already shoot blackpowder (T/C hawkers and pedersoli pistol) so I just got a box of 209s and a box of saboted slugs. I already have the powder (pioneer powder) and all the cleaning stuff, bore butter, etc. I didn't really know what to buy, this is my first inline and I didn't walk in the store planning to buy this rifle.[:D]

But I like the fiber optic sights so much I might just go with them. I'll test her out at 100 yards next time I go shooting. I took my blackpowder stuff with me shooting the day I got it, but my stupid self forgot the powder measure.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax
    I took my blackpowder stuff with me shooting the day I got it, but my stupid self forgot the powder measure.

Next time your forget your powder measure remember that 50 grains of FFg powder in a 50 cal barrel is approximately one inch. If you scribe lines on your ramrod you can load various charges without the need for a measure.

Or you can drop in the charge of your choice and then scribe/mark your ramrod.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax
    I took my blackpowder stuff with me shooting the day I got it, but my stupid self forgot the powder measure.

Next time your forget your powder measure remember that 50 grains of FFg powder in a 50 cal barrel is approximately one inch. If you scribe lines on your ramrod you can load various charges without the need for a measure.

Or you can drop in the charge of your choice and then scribe/mark your ramrod.

an easier method is to measure the amount the nipple will hold, you can hold your finger over the end, open, tip up, close, and you will have a nipple full usually 20-30 grains. I use this measure in the field 3 nipples is 75 grains. My nipple is 25 grains, you can buy different nipples also, I have a 30 grain nipple too.