In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black powder pistols

lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
I kinda have this new bug to enter the black powder world. I am not new to guns at all, but black powder would be a new subject for me. I am interested in purchasing a new 1858 Remington New Army from Cabella's or from a seller at Gunbroker. Who is the best builder of black powder pistols, Oberti, or Pietta, or?? I hear that all steel construction is the way to go as opposed to brass framed pistols. The Colt Paterson pistol is also a possibility, however price and availability may shoot me down! Decent bang for the buck attracts me in this direction of firearm. There are a mess to clean I realize but this does not distract me. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Lee[?]

Comments

• Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Old Army!!!!!
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also give thought to whether you plan to use it in reenactments, in which case you will want a replica. If you just want a strong shooting pistol with good adjustable sights and aren't concerned about whether it is a true replica, then go with the Ruger.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, thanks for the input guys. However the Ruger Old Army doesnt really appear "old". Reinactments are not what I do. I want a [new] [old] pistol. I'm sure the Ruger is the hot setup for accurate shooting and best operation but you'll never see Clint or anyone else carry one. Maybe I already answered my own question. Uberti, Pietta, steel frame, old west gun chambered in .44. Lots of smoke, heavy as hell, crisco on the stall walls at the range. Thanks again.[?]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good choice. I have a Pietta in .44. Looks good and shoots accurately. You'll have a lot of fun with it. [:D]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pietta Colt 1860 Army.
    Handles better than the Remington.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I jumped off and ordered a Pietta Remington 1858 New Army pistol from Cabella's. It arrived just a day or so ago. Well, absolutely no disappointments whatsoever. Excellent workmanship, attention to detail, fit, finish, it's all here. All steel, with a polished brass trigger guard. Walnut grips fit great. If winter will ever leave me alone I'll go to the range and bust a few caps. Thanks guys for the help. Lee[:D]