In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Uberti stainless steel Colt style revolvers

ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
I am seeking the location of, and any information available on a line of stainless steel percussion revolvers made by Uberti and imported by Allen Firearms, Santa Fe, NM; and Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. Angleton, TX in the early to mid '80s. Phil Spangenberger did an article about these stainless revolvers in the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine. According to the article, the models that were being imported were the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, and 1862 Pocket police. Thanks to Dr. J.L. Davis of RPRCA, Claremore, OK, I now know that there were fourteen different models of Stainless Steel Colts produced by Uberti. Dr. Davis was good enough to send me a 1984 price list from Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. that lists the fourteen models that were available. They are:

1851 Navy, Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1851 Navy Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1851 Navy "Sheriff's Model" Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1851 Navy "Sheriff's Model" Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1860 Army Military, Cut For Stock, Cal. .44
1860 Army Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .44
1861 Navy Military, Cut For Stock, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Civilian, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Civilian, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1862 Pocket Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ?"
1862 Pocket Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ?"
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ?"
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ?"

So far, I have two of these revolvers and know of twelve others in the hands of shooters and collectors. Anyone with information concerning Allen Firearms, Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply or any other Uberti Stainless Steel Colt style revolvers is requested to contact fingersmcgee@embarqmail.com. I am seeking information as to models, manufacture dates, and serial numbers, as well as any catalog, brochure and original packaging information.

Of course, if anyone has any for sale, I would be interested in that also.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Uberti stainless Pocket Police 36 bought directly from Uberti
    when they had a Connecticut showroom around 1982.
    It's my understanding it was a showroom sample.
    Incidentally, it chronographs not that much less than the full size Navy.
    I believe Uberti sent workers to finish up imported parts and assemble them into Revolvers for Colt.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    V35, I sent you an email; but I got an invalid mailbox error message.

Here's the email:

Yours makes the 15th SS Colt identified. Could you send me some info for my data base? Need barrel and frame markings, barrel length, date code and serial number. Yours may well have been a dealer sample. There aren't any production numbers for any of the models available, so actual numbers out there are anyone's guess. Colt cataloged the SS pocket models in 1982; but never produced or sold any. They dropped the complete BP line in 1983. My belief is that Uberti has started making SS parts kits for Colt; then, when they dropped the line, Uberti ended up completing them and selling them on their own. The Uberti models were made between 1982 and 1986 (from the date codes on the ones I have data on).

You probably aren't interested in selling yours; but, if you ever decide to, please keep me in mind.

Ken 44-40
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was waiting on Colt to produce other SS models when I finally wrote them and I have their reply. I did get a SS 1860.
    Although Colt advertised they were going to produce a SS line, they changed their mind on the 1862 SS Police I was especially interested in so I went to Uberti in Connecticut who had one on display.
    It has a 5 1/2" barrel s/n 123504 and carries Italian proofs.
    Under the barrel is stamped: cal.36 Black Powder Only, its' serial no. and proofs. There are also proofs on the barrel where Colt would stamp a S/N.
    There are no other barrel markings.
    On the frame left side is AUBERTI&C. (no spacing) over ITALY
    There may be other markings inside.
    I bought this in early or mid '80s and if I'm not mistaken had to do a little gunsmithing on the timing.
    edited November -1
    v35,

Thanks for responding. And thanks for the information on your Uberti SS Pocket Police that you posted on the GB forum. From the serial number, I'm guessing the date code (two letters in a square box)on the right side of the frame is either AN or AP, which would make it a 1985 or 86 manufacture. There probably aren't any marking inside. Do you have any of the original packaging or box it came in? If so, I'd love a picture of the box and label. Would also love a couple pictures of the gun.

In addition to collecting/researching the SS uberti's; I collect Second Gen Colt Blackpowder Revolvers. If I could get a copy of the letter Colt sent you about the SS revolvers, it would be a great addition to my collection.

Thanks again for your response and further information.

Ken 'Ken44-40' Buckingham
    edited November -1
    Lets bounce this back to the top again. I'm still looking for these.

Ken44-40