In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newbie Black Powder question

Delta Elite 10MMDelta Elite 10MM Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
I just bought a Tradions Vortek Northwest edition and have run into an issue. I am new to black powder hunting and bought this rifle because it is legal to hunt with in my state. My question is that the manual says that my rifle is made for #11 percussion caps but when I got to cap the rifle the nipple is way to large to seat a #11 cap, am I doing something wrong? did the rifle come with a larger nipple and I need to buy one to insert in the breach plug that will accommodate #11 caps?

Comments

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you read the Vortek addendum to the owner's manual here:
    https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/NEW-Vortek-Ultralight-Northwest-Magnum-50-Cal-Synthetic-Blk

It is downloadable under the "support files" tab.

Does that apply to your rifle?
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    click on support files at the link and then Northwest then read this:

Vortek Northwest Magnum EditionT Addendum
    NOTE: This information is designed to supplement the 209 ignition and breech plug system section of the Traditions Vortek Manual.
    NOTE: This model, the Vortek Northwest Magnum Edition, was designed for use with a musket cap only. It cannot be used with a #11 percussion cap.

When you go to buy musket caps you sometimes have a choice of regular or top hat style.
    The top hat have some flared wings and are easier to remove from the nipple but may not fit into a musket cap holder.
    You can google/bing search musket caps for muzzleloaders and see both types.