In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Muzzle Loader Shooting question

diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
I have my Knight rifle Scope set for 100 yards. The edge of the woods is approx. 100yds. So if the deer comes out and stay near the edge I'm good. My question is the deer is at 50yds. is my aiming point the same? I use two pellets and a 250gr sabot bullet, It's a 50 cal rifle. I am not sure of the trajectory of this round hence the question. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will hit high at 50 yards if sighted in at 100 yards. Would be best to shoot at 50 to see for sure. I shoot a 54 cal. and with a 50 yard zero, a 325 gr. bullet drops 9" when held dead on at 100 yards.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several variables in this situation including iron sights/scope/height of scope/velocity....

For the most part these will have little impact for most setups if you are taking shoulder shots ilo head shots. For the average scope setup you will be at about zero around 25 yards and about an inch high at highest point of arc before crossing line of sight at 100 yds. (my guess highest point about 65 yds)
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a CVA .50 Optima with a 245 gr sabot with 3 pellets ....I have also sighted my scope in at 100 yards. In the sighting in process, I also shot groups of 5 shots at
    25, 50, 75 yards as well as 125, 150, 175 and 200 yards.

In the last four years I have shot 5 deer with this set up. Three were within 25 yards, one at just over 55 yards and the final one at 75 yards. I aimed center chest on all of them. The three closest ones were slightly low, the other two were slightly high.

All that being said, I am not sure how much velocity difference there is between using two pellets as opposed to three. If you have time, go out and shoot a few rounds at closer distances so you feel confident when the opportunity to take a shot at a whitetail presents itself.

Good luck out there....be safe
  • diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. It rained all day Saturday and was a little warm here in NC. I did not see any deer. I will get to the range this week
    and test fire at 50yds. Again thanks for the thoughts.
  • Lincoln4730Lincoln4730 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several web sites will give you the bullet drop, path, etc. based on weight, and powder charge. I recommend using one and printing the table. This will give you the flight path and drop at intervals of as little as every ten yards. This should help in knowing your muzzleloader and save some time at the range.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 pellets and a 245gr Powerboat puts it 1" high at 50 yards and 2" low at 100 yards.

I hope that helps.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want the truth:
    Shoot your gun YOURSELF and see what kind of groups you get instead of reading books![;)]
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    around 3-4" would be high so still near the kill zone.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should