In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25 cal Cap Lock-pic heavey.

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
This rifle came out of an estate sale, stock was broken at the rear of the lock, and it was in pretty sad shape. There was a letter in the patch box, stating that the rifle had been built after the civil war, to replace one that the letter writers granddad had lost to confiscation by union troops. The builders name, according to the letter was Campbell. The letter was signed by a lady also named Campbell, said this was her granddad's favorite squirrel rifle. There is no marking except for the lock makers name on the lock. The bore measure .25 caliber, we shot it with 25 cal. round balls, it did quite well with thick ticking patches.
Dan Saunders, a friend of the gentle man who bought the rifle, and my gun smith, restored this beauty.
My question is, where do you think it was built? The letter doesn't say. The lock and hammer style are the right era for the post civil war time frame. I'm wondering if some one might recognize the regional builders style.
Thanks for your time.
W.D.
IMGP2140.JPG
IMGP2141.JPG
IMGP2145.JPG
IMGP2148.JPG
IMGP2142.JPG
IMGP2143.JPG
IMGP2143.JPG
IMGP2150.JPG
IMGP2151.JPG

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sweet smallest bore on a muzzle loader I have seen
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To my "expert" eye, it looks like a southern Ohio or Indiana rifle. I agree with the 1860's time period. There is a Tristma Campbell, St. Louis Directory 1842, Missouri, listed in Early American Gunsmiths by H. J. Kauffman. There are three Campbells listed in Arms Makers of Western Pennsylvania, but they are all earlier makers than that rifle suggests. The longish forend says Indiana to me. You did not say what state the history is from. Possibly the same state where it was made. There is no Campbell listed in The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out volume 5 of the Foxfire series books ,edited by Elliot Wigginton PIcs in book that look close .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    This rifle sold at the Reno Gun show last week.
    W.D.