In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

54 Lyman Plainsman Loads

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Need some experience here to recommend loads. Ball AMMO ONLY.

PA deer season.

Thanks

Sage1

Comments

• bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never owned a .54 my self. I have all .50's

I load 60gr. for plinking and 80 gr. for huntinng in my Hawken. T/C says the MAX load is 90 or 100gr for this gun. You gun should have the max listed in the manual as well.

I wouldn't think a .54 would need much more if were are talking a patch/ball. Like everyone says, you need to shoot 5gr incriments and see what your rifle likes.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a renegade 54 flintlock, roundballs for me shoot best at 75grns of FFF. Each rifle will be different, 75-90 would be a starting point go up or down 5-10 grains till the groups tighten up the best. Pyrodex and the other imitation powders will be different also only true way to find out is to shoot it. Patch size will also make a difference, they can be had in .05-.15 to tighten or loosen depending on rifle.....
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use 90 grains of 2f 777 Pyrodex in my CVA .54 Hawken. Worked fine on the buck I got last week. CVA says up to 120 grains on this one. 90 kicks hard enough for me. I think 75 to 80 will kill a deer. Depends on how long a shot you plan on taking.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • El BangoEl Bango Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    60 grains FFF,spit patch on the range,greased patch on hunt.