In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nord

Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in General Discussion
Sent you an email in reply to yours. Got a message back it went to your spam bin because I'm not in your address book. Just letting you know, You got mail.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif

"... there is much truth in the Italian saying, 'Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.'" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my ten years on GB, I think this is the most honest, touching and eloquent post that I have read.

Thank you for your story.

My deepest sympathies. Don't punish yourself for what was left unsaid. Your father was well aware and the words weren't necessary.

In my case I had the privilege of being with my dad for the last two months of his life. In effect he became my child. I took him to the hospital on Good Friday 2003. His kidneys were failing rapidly and we both knew it. Though I think he was ready to go, he was scared and I held his hand. This single small act may have been one of the most powerful events of my life as what passed between us could never have been expressed in words. My dad passed on May 15th of that year and I was with him.

Since my father donated his body to science and for other reasons there was no funeral. His ashes were returned to me a year later and I had the further privilege of personally burying him next to my mother. He's protected for eternity under the helmet he wore so proudly in WW2. It was all very private and personal. Placing that first shovel full of soil over his remains was possibly the most difficult thing I've ever done.

My point in sharing this is that you obviously care deeply about your father. Both of you were facing a difficult situation for the first time. Your father leaving and you staying behind. You may look back and think of things that might have been better handled. Don't beat yourself up. You did your best under trying circumstances. If anything was overlooked, your father understands. Being a parent I truly believe that your father probably feels worse about putting you through this than you do about his loss.

If there be any consolation in what I've shared, it's that your father left you one last gift. It, in fact, may be the greatest gift a parent could ever give a child... Strength. You'll eventually emerge from this a better man.

God Bless.
    edited November -1
    Sorry i missed you at the last show. I got there later than expected because a co-worker decided he wanted to tag along he was late meeting me. After I got there I found out Dennis had a bunch of people helping him this time around. Half of them I didn't know. If Dennis or Jason weren't at the table none of the other guys would have known me. Maybe I'll catch you at the january show. I've got the newsletter here somewhere I think it's the fourth and fifth. If it is I don't expect much of a turnout that close to the holliday. I'll post an announcment as soon as I find the newsletter.

Woods
    edited November -1
    Bruce Somewhere I Heard You Were the Go to Man On Black Powder SXS

I Found a SXS With a name R Mortimer On it
    Any Info ??
    edited November -1
    The morphine you are taking is it extended release or fast acting? This makes a huge difference in how long it takes before it starts working.

I take both kinds. I take Morphine ER 60mg in the mourning and 30mg at night so i can sleep. During the day i take 15mg of oxycodone fast acting 4 times a day. Some days more some days less. It just depends on what i did the day before.

Like i mentioned to Mike it is a LOT easier to stay ahead of the pain than get behind. Sadly i know this from experience.

There is no reason to hurt. I hurt everyday from arthritis from chemo. I have hurt where tears were coming out of my eyes and i was praying to God to please let me die.

Nord there is no reason not to take pain pills. I try and keep my pain a 4. I can live with that. If what you take gives you a buzz cut it in half if it is not extended release.

I never get a buzz. I do not like the feeling. However i am starting to take a shot of vodka with dt. mountain dew because my knees are killing me until i get my knees replaced.

Prayers David
    edited November -1
    What would happen if you took .3 or .4 every 4 hours instead of 3 like it was prescribed. I do not think that will be enough to give you a buzz and it should help keep your pain under control.

If it is too much back it down a little or if you are still in pain go up a little.

Find out what works best for you. However if i were you i think i would keep a little in me at all times. There is no need to hurt when you do not have to.

Keeping a little in your system will not hurt you and it will keep you from getting miserable before your pain meds kick in when you start hurting.

If .4 gives you a buzz drop down to .3. However i think you will be ok with .4. When i was going through my cancer my morphine was measured in drops because my throat was closed up and i was breathing through a trach.

Experiment and find out what works for you.
    edited November -1
    I have been trying to call for a couple hours. Either its busy or it sounds like a fax line.

Here is my number 1 252 343 9471
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the offer. I have your phone number. I'm not even going to try and fix it until the weekend. I'm working both jobs until then so I'm only able to work on it at 1:00am. In the meantime I'm going to try and get AVG to remove it long enough to get a boot disk made. If I do I may need someone to talk me through a restart in safe mode. Until then I'm just going to unplug the DSL and stay offline as much as possible.

I would have sent this through email but don't want to risk spreading this goofy thing.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif

"... there is much truth in the Italian saying, 'Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.'" -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited November -1
    It's been a few days. Prayers continue.[:)]
    edited November -1
    What would happen if you skipped your routine of walking? Wouldnt you have more energy to do more in the rest of the day than being tired at the end of the day.

Just a thought. Whatever you are doing is working and i know you hate to change things up. I am not superstitious but before every football game i wore the same shirt under my shoulder pads. I had another shirt i wore under my baseball jersey. LOL

Just keep hanging in there brother. Thats all that is important.

Still prayers asked for you and yours.
    edited November -1
    Where are you bud???? Hope you are feeling better. In my thoughts and prayers friend. Oakie
    edited November -1
    I am sad to hear about your illness sorry I did not see it earlier take care and know that the Lord will take care of us on earth as well as in heaven

I consider you a wise friend even though we have only communicated through this forum

I will keep you in my prayers
    edited November -1
    Bruce can we do anything for you?
    Anything at all!! we can come this afternoon if you like!
    Bruce You and I have been friends for ever it seems
    Here and having You and Joyce at our home on several occasions I read this this afternoon and now know why I was pulled to call you last week!
    I am truly sorry for being to busy to not find that 5 minutes
    For my friend Bruce if something happens between now and the time you read this just Please Know We, Dori Myself & Merle, All Love You as A "True Friend"
    I will come if you would like to see us but understand if your to week to want to. if that be the case Buddy "God Speed" and we will see you on the other side.We are here for you
    Bruce & Joyce, We Love You both.... Woody & Dori
    edited November -1
    First off prayers for you and yours. May you and your loved ones find peace.

I have a sister in law who runs a hospice center and it is a very very hard job to have.

All the hospice nurses i have ever been around were angels. I am 100% sure they will take great care of you.

If i were in your shoes i would make the exact same choice as you. Just laying in the bed in pain and agony is not living.

Take the chance to tell your loved ones how much you love them and how proud you are of them and i believe you will see them again under much better circumstances.

I do not understand how God will call home a good person while thugs and gangbangers run around acting like &^%%&*)*.

That is above my pay grade. I will not lie i do not pity you but i do feel sorry that a good man is going to pass while worthless pieces of poop run around.

Again prayers for you and yours. I know i will miss you as others here will also.

Never be afraid to ask for more pain medicine there is no need to hurt. I have never seen you before but i will look you up when i get where i am going.

May you have peace.
    edited November -1
    Praying for you.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    edited November -1
    I read your post and i am glad you are doing better. I do have 1 question for you.

What pain meds are you own. I read where you are taking Morphine. What milligram and is it extended release.

In the morning i take 60mg of Morphine ER and 30mg of Morphine ER at night. ER means extended release. Plus i have Oxycodone 15 when i need it. That takes about 30 to 45 minutes give or take to start helping.

I am really really happy that you are able to get out and do some things. I believe the more you can do the better it is for your mind.

I can not say i know what pain you are going through but i know the pain i went through and i am still dealing with it every day.

When i take my Morphine i get no buzz or funny feeling it is like me taking 2 aspirin.

I think you might want to talk to your doctor and find something that you can keep in your system all the time and then take something stronger and faster acting when you over do it or just feel worse.

Sometimes i forget to take my mourning pills which includes Morphine and it will be night time before i can get my pain under control again.

The last thing i would like to tell you is please be careful and do not over do it. If i do to much in a day i feel bad for 2 or 3 days. It takes me that long to recover. I will be in bed or the recliner. It is crazy because i will feel great while i am doing it. Until the next day.

If you would like to talk i will give you my phone number. Just post up here you want it and i will give it to you.

Prayers asked for you and yours.
    edited November -1
    I Heard on the TV You had a F1 Tornado Down Your Way you Ok Buddy
    Woody
    edited November -1
    Whats been going on? How are you doing? I hope everything is as good as it can be under the circumstances.

Prayers for you and yours.
    edited November -1
    The video card came today, I just installed it and it's working fine! I owe ya big time.
    Thanks Pa

pacamo

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the personal message but e-mail to you bounces, can you send me one to reply to? Thanks!
    edited November -1
    Bruce & Joyce
    Sorry we missed you Again today
    Went to Spend the Day With Aunt
    She is In Cortland Place
    (Nursing Home)
    We will have to Make a Point to get together Soon.
    PS.
    Merle Misses you LOL[^]
    Woody & Dori
    edited November -1
    I am Sorry To Say That We Have Lost Another Member of This Great Forum Joyce Called me Early this Morning To let us know That Bruce Has Passed On to The Lord @4:20 Am. Thank You All For Your Prayers.

Our Last Prayers For Bruce were Answered Swiftly "Thank You God" Bruce You Treated Us Like Family I will Never Forget The Visits And Conversations We Had over the years Godspeed Buddy See You On the Other Side RIP

Admin Please Add Him To Our List Of Fallen Members Thank you!
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Me too. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with you - every step.

You have friends here - we want to see you posting.

Mike
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers asked from here as well.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Dear Friends,

Thank you all. I'm humbled by your caring. I'll attempt to continue to post and remain active as long as possible. I've shared with Mike some personal details and he has my permission (at his discretion) to share with you as he sees fit.

Right now I'm on a quest to deal with the pain and to remain a caring and good man. A bumpy road this!

Your prayers, concern, and support help me to keep placing that one foot in front of the other as my "mistress" keeps upping the pain game.

LIVE!
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God Bless......
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers for your comfort and peace in your heart.....
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bruce, my thoughts are with you on your journey. By all accounts you're one hell of a man, give it all you've got, do what's right for you and your family.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers asked for comfort and strength.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm praying too man. With all my might.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    My prayers go out for you Bruce! I believe in miracles and pray you receive one of the best! May the Lord bless you and HEAL you!
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Have been thinking about you last night, and again, on the drive in this AM, after your post last night.

Good thoughts and Prayers, go out to you Nord.

(As they have been for a while now Brother.)

-Ken-
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best Wishes. One of my engineers found out today he has esophageal cancer. And it is supposedly aggressive. Drs are afraid that it has already metastasized to internal organs. I hate to see it. He was the very first one hired for our engineering staff and has been with us for over ten years. Worst part is he is only 45 and is one of those that always exercises and eats right. Reminds me of another friend I lost about 15 years ago who was always Mr. Healthy...

Keep up the good fight.